Blown spark plug

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Blown spark plug

Post by Guest »

I have a 90 gt with a 3.1, last week when coming home from work when the #6 cylinder spark plug was blown complety out of the head taking the threads with it. Has anyone ever heard or have this happen? any ideas on what caused it, i have a couple of ideas.

Blown spark plug

Post by Guest »

very high compression would cause this. thats all i can think off

Blown spark plug

Post by Guest »

Im thinking it was over tightend if it pulled the threads out.....

MAJ28

Blown spark plug

Post by MAJ28 »

Jeeze that is strange!  Are you 100% sure that's what happened?

-Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
MAD MARK

Blown spark plug

Post by MAD MARK »

Yea I have stripped numerous spark plugs, but never taken out the threads on the head.

This is odd.

MAD MARK
wicked-irocz

Blown spark plug

Post by wicked-irocz »

Maybe detonation, but very unlikely, or maybe not tight enough, wobbled until it broke out?

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo

Blown spark plug

Post by Guest »

I figured out what happened guys. I had a collasped lifter on the #6 cylinder exhaust side. What happened was when i traveled home the beretta is pulling 3000 rpm to keep up with the flow of traffic,( city highway traffic) And when i let off the throttle to get off my exit i heard a couple backfires, then when i got to stop sign at the end of the exit I heard a loud ticking noise. What happen was both the intake and the exhaust valves were closed when one of them was to be open and built up too much pressure and blown the plug loose, i drove the car home, approx 2 miles, when i pulled in the drivway thats when the plug was blown complety out of the head. and it took the threads out with it. It really did some damage to the plug port. I'm going to put a junkyard engine in it just cause its cheaper than getting new parts to repair the one thats in there now.