Car wont start

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

Ok,

One day I was driving down the road and the car bucked a little then drove for like a mile then stalled out and died.  I checked things out on the side of the road and noticed there was no fuel pressure.  So, I replaced the fuel pump, now there is pressure at the fuel rail.

But, interestingly, there is no spark.  I read the car's codes but it isn't throwing out any.

So, I am guessing it to be the crank position sensor.  If it isn't that it should only be either the coil controller module or the car's computer or the crank position sensor.

If it helps, every time I crank the car over the fuel pump re-primes itself.  Which, should be controlled by the computer, right?  Anyone have any guesses as to if there is anything else that would cause a non-sparking situation?

Thanks,
Dave

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

BTW,

I have ALL the parts to fix anything that could be wrong.  But, I don't want to just start swapping things out..  But, I think I should swap the crank position sensor.

-Dave

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

could be the cps, ecm, wiring problems, or ignition module.  You are on the right track, at this point though, you may need more sophosticated tools to test without replacing.  If you have the parts, I say start swapping.

BTW, just because your fuel pump is running does not neccessarily mean the ECM is going to tell the ignition to fire.  Certain functions of the ecm can fail without a trace of a problem within other functions.

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

Well, I think I'll start by plugging in a different set of coils and the coil pack module tommorrow.   If that doesn't do anything, I'll swap the crank position sensor.  If that doesn't do anything, i know it more than likely is not a wiring problem (just a guess, I've had this car a long time and have neer had any eletrical problems)

I really don't want to swap the computer though, but, I will.

I am assuimng the injectors are firing but, I will probably test to see if they are being fired tommorrow.

After work tommorrow I'm gonna deal with major a pain in my azz.

-Dave

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

I wouldn't worry about the coils.  It would be an extreme coincidence if all 3 failed at once.  Good luck

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

Well, I want to start with the coils + controllwer cause I'm just going to plug in another unit first as opposed to actually swapping it.  The way I see it the crank position sensor runs through the coil controller module so, that could be killing the signal.  I would be happy if it was the coils or controller being dead.

Man, this makes me want to go swap the coils now.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Dave

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

See now, what I don't understand is why the fuel pump and whatever is causing this went at the same time.  it makes me think there could be a voltage regulator problem.  And, if so other things could be fried, I suppose.  But, I don't see the fuel pump as being much of a candidate for failure due to excessive voltage as opposed to many other things in the car.

-Dave

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

Quote the car bucked a little then drove for like a mile then stalled out and died.  Quote So, I am guessing it to be the crank position sensor.  Thats what it usually does when the cps craps out. Why waste time with coil crap, when you know that theres a 90% chance it's the cps. And Dave, if you're doing this outside, forget it, theres snow coming on thursday!

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

Heh, I would kill myself if I was working outside.  Ok, so I wont mess with the coils unless it comes to it.  I'm assuming the injectors wont be fired without the CPS, right?  They would have no signal to work with.  So, i figure I could just check and see if they are being fired (just the 4 pin connector on the back of the 2.8's plenum).  So, tommorrow, if I get no injectors being fired I'll just swap out the CPS.

Thanks guys,
Dave

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

The injectors should still shoot, the cps is triggering just the spark. I had this happen to me on the GTU about 2 or so years ago. I drove out to worc, and this all started when I was going back to boston. As I went down 290, the car started losing power, and was actually running on 3 cylinders. I was 3 miles from 495.... went south on 495, and got off at route 20 and pulled into the shell station. The cat was so hot, that the undercoating was dripping off the floor. I had to dowse it with water before it caught on fire. The car would not start again. The ramp truck took it home, and when it got home, the car started. It started the next morning too, but got 7 miles, and died again. I replaced the cps with a used one I had lying around, and has been fine ever since.

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

I replaced the crank position sensor and did a lot of other things to the car today.  Then I took a nice test ride up into the mountains.  Then, on the way back down I realised I had brand new brake pads on.  It wasn't fun at the bottom when I rolled to a stop

Thanks for all the help,
Dave

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

Quote It wasn't fun at the bottom when I rolled to a stop You lost me on this part Dave. Why did it have to roll to a stop, and why wasn't fun. You couldn't have burned the brakes up, and used the trans as a brake.... Did you?

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

Heh, No.  The pads were brand new like, they probably had 10 miles on them.  They just weren't broken in much at all and they faded when I wanted to actually stop completely.  One of my rotors is pretty chewed up so, it takes some time for those pads to break in aswell.

I have all new 92+ brake parts, two sets.  Neither are on my cars.  So, on my car I have a bad driver side rotor and a bad passenger side caliper.  I was thinking about switching parts with the 88" today or tommorrow.  Just until I change the brakes, struts, balljoints, springs, wheel bearings, and a few other things (I have all the parts sitting in my cellar, hehehehe)

-Dave

stang&2Birds

Car wont start

Post by stang&2Birds »

Quote (JCZ26 @ Mar. 13 2003,02:13)As I went down 290, the car started losing power, and was actually running on 3 cylinders.
Stay off I-290!  It's the Bermuda Triangle!  I've had THREE breakdowns on that hell-mouth!  I had a cheap @ss electric FP go on my '77 Cutlass, ran too low on oil with my Vega (doh!), and last year, the head gasket blew on my '92 SOHC.  Hmm, maybe driving via I-91 (Springfield) and the Mass Pike is better than I-84 and I-290.

Oh yea, I've "donated" to Mass a number of times by driving on that stretch of road and having a nice officer pull me over and give me a "donation envelope".

Yea, the HILLS on I-290 really put a strain on engines/ cooling-systems/ etc.

How much for a *GM* CPS?  I like to do *preventive work* instead of having to get $300+ tows from I-290.

Joe -- 94 Olds Achieva Quad 4 HO ; 92 Olds Achieva Quad 4 SOHC; '69 Firebird 350 ; '77 Olds Cutlass (Yes, I have *4* GM cars. ).  86 TBird & 86 Mustang GT with Cobra brakes & ABS.
FREE Pace Calculator program for running/walking/etc

Car wont start

Post by Guest »

I dunno what the GM one costs, I've never seen one available from an auto parts supplier.  I installed a used GM one out of my parts car.

If you are looking for a reliable one, Standard makes one, the # is PC7 (for 60 degree V6's...  Or, some corvette 350's (like 95-96)),  I would figure Standard's part to be up to par, I've never had any problems with their electronic products.  It costs like $17

As for the GM one, I dunno the price but, for the V6's it is PN# 213-148

-Dave