Speedo on the fritz

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum
doughboy1013

Speedo on the fritz

Post by doughboy1013 »

I have a good multipart question for those with knowledge. ÂÂÂ Lately my speedo has been acting up. ÂÂÂ Mostly it will show my exact speed, but sometimes, mostly in warmer temperatures, it will randomly tip up to a faster speed (i.e. jumping to 120 while doing 60). ÂÂÂ It will never go to a slower speed, always higher.  This has popped up in the past week. ÂÂÂ I've had it have the problem for hours on end, and then on the return trip act perfectly normal. ÂÂÂ Do I need to replace the cluster or is it a wiring problem?

Secondly, if the cluster does need replacing, does the replacement cluster have to come from a car with the same motor?  Any help with the above would be appreciated. ÂÂÂ

Almost funny.  Almost.

Speedo on the fritz

Post by Guest »

almost sounds like a speed sensor problem sending a voltage spike. Make sure your connections at the speed sensor are clena and tight before throwing any parts at it. ;)

doughboy1013

Speedo on the fritz

Post by doughboy1013 »

Alright, I'll check that out the first chance I get.  May as well mention that the odometer stays consistent while the speedo screws around.  Don't know if that matters or not.

Almost funny.  Almost.

Speedo on the fritz

Post by Guest »

could be either the speed sensor or instrument cluster---check your connections first.