Lock cylinder removal

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Lock cylinder removal

Post by Guest »

Ok I have to know for sure.  I am looking to get a new lock cylinder for my Dr. side door, as I was playing around with the entire panel in which the lock cylinder is attatched, I pused  in on the lock cylinder and it will pop out.

Is this all there is to removing a lock cylinder and installing a new one ?  I hope you guys understand what I am talking about.

Thanks

Cobra

Lock cylinder removal

Post by Guest »

somethings wrong then, best access to the cylinder retaining bolt etc, is to have the door handle assy off, although it can be done while on the car. If that lock cylinder pushed out and the retainer hasn't been removed, then it's missing, it should not "just push out".

Lock cylinder removal

Post by Guest »

I had the assy off the door when I found this out.  I have no idea what your talking about when you mention a "retainer" neither one of my lock assy's had what I would believe to be a retainer.

Lock cylinder removal

Post by Guest »

Quote (Cobra @ July 28 2003,17:30)I had the assy off the door when I found this out.  I have no idea what your talking about when you mention a "retainer" neither one of my lock assy's had what I would believe to be a retainer.
there is at least a bolt with a washer(sometimes a trianle shaped retainer) that is screwed into the back of the handle that retains the lock cyl from being pushed into the car (or out of the handle, depending how you want to look at it)

Lock cylinder removal

Post by Guest »

Ok, I got the door handle back on and I now see what your talking about.  It's a piece of sheet metal that barely fits over part of the back of the lock cylinder to hold it in.  It's held in with one screw.  At any rate, got the dr. side door all squared away now.  

Thanks again  JCZ26

Cobra