Z26 speed limiter

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Z26 speed limiter

Post by Guest »

I had my base up to 125 on the dial one time. That was with base wheels/tires. The car wasn't runing right either it was missing out on a few cylinders (2) that day I later found out. Because I had changed the plugs and didn't get the spark plug wires on all the way. I had to buy new wires then as it made a carbon trail down the boot of the wires and would still mess up even when on all the way. (spark travels down carbon trail in the boot to the exhaust manifold instead of to the plug)

I now have Z26 wheels. But I haven't tested the top speed. I also have a nice stable suspension now too...

spacecadetz26

Z26 speed limiter

Post by spacecadetz26 »

i have 205/55 16's on my z

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Z26 speed limiter

Post by Guest »

i have 91 gt and ive gotten mine up between 115-120.
doubt the previous owner made any computer mods, seeing as how she barely drove the car as it was.

Z26 speed limiter

Post by Guest »

Quote (undefinedomestic808 @ Dec. 19 2002,11:46)hey lilguido1 is your 3100 in your Z an OBD I or OBD II type?
I believe the Z is an OBD1.  The car was built in 02/1995 and I bought it new in 06/1995.

Funny thing having the car stumble all over itself @ 118 mph...

Z26 speed limiter

Post by Guest »

Hi All,
My 95 Z26 limiter comes in at 112 mph.
Running the normal 16" wheels with VR4 speed range tires..
duane koss/blues springs, mo

nocutt

Z26 speed limiter

Post by nocutt »

Quote (JCZ26 @ Dec. 20 2002,11:20)Quote (undefinedomestic808 @ Dec. 21 2002,10:57)Anyone ever tried going to their local GM dealer/service center and asked if theycould reflash there computers to eliminate the limiter through the use of there Tech I or II tools?
Not an option, as in, can't be done. It has to be done at some place like super chips.
JCZ226 why?
I am very curious as to what the tech I/II can do...I went to a dealer about two weeks ago...I was not deaf when one of the service writer told me he can do it (speed limiter removal)...guess what? I had called about 4 days later, the guy had gone on vacation and I was unfortuantely tranferred to the shop foreman...he told me he will have to call GM, by evening time I received a call...this was what ensued...
Shop foreman: "Eh well we can't do it"
Me: Why? (getting both upset and depressed)
SF: Well we just can't...
Me: Well what can you do with the tech II then?
SF: Just monitor a lot of parameters...no sort of calibration or reprogram...
Me: Well I was told by a very good source, that the speed limiter was actually used to curtail factors such as liability especially with tires...( I kept on going) so therefore if I wanted to buy a v6 camaro with say a package which will include high speed rated tires, are you telling me I will still be limited at whatever the base option with some "H rated tires"?
SF: Well of course not?
Me: Then you just told me a reprogram cannot be accomplished...you have just contradicted yourself?
SF: OK you will need a special program from GM, some cards (I have no idea what he was talking about now but it is safe to say...something smells and it ain't me...)
Me: Well OK I guess there is more to it, but ultimately I know you guys can do it...bye and thanks! click!!

I think there is more than meets the eye with GM...I know for a fact that it can be done besides having someone "back peddaling or doing some backwards engineering"...We will see what happens when this dude comes back from vacation...I never mentioned it to the foreman...