Fuel filter

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Fuel filter

Post by Guest »

Where is the fuel filter located, and about how many miles should I change it at.  I have a 1989 GT.  I bought it used, which around 52,000 miles.  I put 1,000 miles on it, do any of you think it would make a difference.

Fuel filter

Post by Guest »

The fuel filter is located on the right side of the car, just behind your rear axel.  I don't think it will really make a difference.  It can't hurt to change it though.  Clean fuel going to your engine is always a good thing.

MAJ28

Fuel filter

Post by MAJ28 »

be sure that you slide the clips, you'll no what I mean when you try to get it off...  sometimes they can be stubborn.

Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
stizkidz

Fuel filter

Post by stizkidz »

i tried to change my fuel filter the other day but i do not know how to reduce the fuel pressure so when i took the tube off, gas sprayed everywhere!

any help for the helpless?

-Ben

Sold:
-90 Beretta 3.1 auto, red
Offroad Rig:
-88 K5 Blazer 5.7 manual, black
Showcar:
-87 Buick Grand National 3.8 Turbo auto, black
-88k original miles
Daily Driver:
-98 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 manual, green
MAJ28

Fuel filter

Post by MAJ28 »

my help would be to put the new one onto the side that goes to the engine, while leaving the old one on the tank end.  Then put the new one onto the tank end as quickly as possible.  Or you could try clipping something onto the line, but you don't wanna break the line either.  

In other words, you will get gas all over you....

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   

Fuel filter

Post by Guest »

the only way that I know of to release the fuel pressue in the system is to remove the little screw knob on top of the fuel pressure regulator. Located in the engine compartment to the right of the plenum sort of looks like a thimble. I wish I had a pick to show you. just unscrew it alittle to let out the pressure. Also you can try opening the gas cap not to sure just be careful and don't drop any tools while you are working under there with the gas a spark or something will cause alot of trouble for you.

I hope this helps

Fuel filter

Post by Guest »

When I changed mine I unscrewed the gas cap and disconnected the fuel pump connector.  This is located directly towards the driver's side from the filter. The Haynes manual stated that the car should start and continue to run until all the fuel in the lines is burned off, however it did not start.

On the plus side, there was no pressurized spray upon disconnecting the filter, just be sure and have a can in place to catch the fuel that will spill out.