92 2.3 5 speed and ecm in a

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Post by Guest »

i need to know how hard it would be to swap my motor and trans and ecm into a 98 z24 2.4 with a automatic?

1. are the trans and motor mounts the same?
2. is the spacing the same for stuff to fit right?
3. what all is needed for the swap?

any information would help because this kid wants to put mine in his and i dont wanna sell it if it wont fit....

rweatherford

Post by rweatherford »

I'd sell it and let him worry about it.  It IS possible, but what a pain in the ###.  He could just drive a Beretta.  

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Post by Guest »

A 92 to a 98 is going to be a pain in the @ss. I Did a 89 Beretta 2.8 5spd into a 91 Cavy 2.0 Auto and it was pretty  straight forward.  But Cavys were made with them in the Z24 model.  SO!!!!   WHO KNOWS?!?!?

Post by Guest »

It is possible but most likely illegal!!! In most states it is against the law to put an older motor into a newer car---especially an obdII car---you would be putting in an older obdI motor and computer into an OBDII car..that will nullify most of its emissions functions. I would check you local laws as you may get this whole job done, and take it for state inspection and get in serious trouble, the car get the registration revoked and so forth for messing with the emissions on the car....Quite a few states have adopted this. For it to be legal you would have to put a motor in a 98 model year car from a 98 model year car or newer if you are doing a drivetrain swap.

PLus it would be a total nightmare to ----the wiring alone would look like a butcher job, alot of repinning and rewiring---the newer cars have alot more sensors and wiring and systems they monitor comparitively....what is the advantage in doing something like this anyway?