After warming up

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

After warming up

Post by Guest »

91 GTZ Quad 4; about a year ago I changed the head gasket. Now there is a small oil leak coming from above the water pump on the back of the exhaust cam. Would this small leak (about 1 liter a week) cause my oil pressure to drop from 3/4 at cold to 1/4 when warm? I also lose what seams like a lot of power from a cold engine, too when the engine is runnning warm. Anyone have any ideas?

After warming up

Post by Guest »

Oil pump gear is slipping on the oil pump shaft, OR the bearings have had it and it's gonna blow. Either way, with oil pressure that low while you're driving it, it's gonna blow. Better resolve it fast, or you'll be walking!!!

After warming up

Post by Guest »

When I did the head gasket I also had the oil pan off and cleaned it, while I was there I looked at the bearings and had the oil pump in my hand. Everything seemed ok. Bearings had no wear. Pump is hard to tell, nothing was loose and everything turned ok. Do you think the leak on the cam housing won't cause my oil pressure to go down?

After warming up

Post by Guest »

No, the leak would have nothing to do with it, unless it was a huge and it were gushing out. I don't know your qualifications, but most people don't know what wear on a bearing looks like, unless it's obvious. As for the pump, there is no pin or keyway on the shaft to prevent the gear from ever slipping. I've looked at several Quad 4's this year alone, from the bolt on the end allowing the gear to slip occassionally. If the pump is in working order, and the pump.....pumps oil, then your pressure is made up in the bearing clearences. The only true way to be sure the bearings are not worn, is to "plastigauge" them, all of them...Mains too. If they check out ok, then there is another problem somewhere, like a crack that expands when the temp rises and bleeds off oil pressure. (again keeping in mind what I said about the pump, having to be a known GOOD pump)