Fuel filter replacement

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Fuel filter replacement

Post by Guest »

I think I am gonna replace my fuel filter tonight, as the rising fuel prices are killing me, and I want to see if I get better mileage.  I have an 89 GT 2.8V6.  I can't seem to find the fuse for the fuel pump, as you have to kill the pump before taking the filter off.  I would think disconnecting the neg. battery cable would work too.

Can anyone tell me if this is an easy job???

woody90gtz

Fuel filter replacement

Post by woody90gtz »

i did this job this last summer and it was a pain in the ###. should have been easy but it wasnt. the cheap little rigs you gotta buy to take off the filter work well.  took me about 45 mins when it should have been 20.  i had the sand down the little plastic part to get the thing off

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube

Fuel filter replacement

Post by Guest »

Hey woody, what were you doing? The fuel filters on both of my cars are held in by plastic clips. Push the clip together, pull on the line. Thats it, line pops out of the filter. Do this for both sides of the filter and install the new one. It really isn't that hard. :rock:

Fuel filter replacement

Post by Guest »

Just make sure you've got a rag handy to mop up any fuel leaking out.

Oh one more thing, I never pulled and fuses or disconnected the battery when changing the filter. I just made sure the keys weren't in the igntion. Don't blame me if your's blows up, but I don't think you need to disconnect anything electrical.

Fuel filter replacement

Post by Guest »

Quote (89 BerettaGuy @ Feb. 14 2003,13:44)I think I am gonna replace my fuel filter tonight, as the rising fuel prices are killing me, and I want to see if I get better mileage.  I have an 89 GT 2.8V6.  I can't seem to find the fuse for the fuel pump, as you have to kill the pump before taking the filter off.  I would think disconnecting the neg. battery cable would work too.

Can anyone tell me if this is an easy job???
I think the 89's actually have to use a wrench. Correct me if I am wrong. I know my 90 has white clips that just need a bit of compression and VIOLA its off. Get some kitty litter for driveway when you take it off its going to drip!

NO SMOKING!  

Fuel filter replacement

Post by Guest »

Well it wasn't that hard of a job.  the filter is in kind of a tough spot though, I just clamped on a pair of vise grips and used a 5/8 wrench and it worked awesome.  The old filter was pluged full, I couldn't even blow through it like I could the new one.  This should improve mileage I'm hoping...thanx guys:D

Fuel filter replacement

Post by Guest »

LOL! How did the old filter taste? Yummy huh?

Glad to hear it went well.