Decarbonization

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum
CKr

Decarbonization

Post by CKr »

For the past few months I have been contimplating on whether or not I should perform a top engine decarbonization.  I found a discussion and some information on this topic over at 60degreev6.com but no real information on whether this is good for a high milage engine.

Discussion Thread

Information

Has anyone performed this procedure? ÂÂÂ if so, was it worth it? ÂÂÂ How much did this stuff cost you? ÂÂÂ Would it be good for a higher milage engine like mine (206,000 miles)?  Would it weaken my seals?

Cory
------
96 BRM Z26, 98 Estoril Blue BMW M3

Decarbonization

Post by Guest »

I have done it to all my cars and it really works well. The car ran better, got better gas mileage, and the spunk came back to motor--more reponsive plus my idle drastically improved. I don't see any problem with doing it on a higher mileage motor but I would recommend doing it just before an oil change just in case any of the cleaner seeps down into the oil . That is how I did it. There are alot of different manufacturers of the stuff. Check with you local auto parts store and see what they have available. I used to use a stuff called Run Rite but that was only available to shops and not to individuals. It is from a company in PA.

CKr

Decarbonization

Post by CKr »

Thanks for your input Chris.  I wont be doing it until my next oil change, as it does say to change your oil after you do it.

Cory
------
96 BRM Z26, 98 Estoril Blue BMW M3

Decarbonization

Post by Guest »

I think you will be surprised and pleased with how it runs afterward. Just don't forget to clean you throttle body too. I use and old tooth brush and some spray cleaner like carb cleaner or throttle body spray.

Decarbonization

Post by Guest »

hmm, i think i might have this done to my car while the spare motor is still in.  Do any nation wide facilities do this?

Decarbonization

Post by Guest »

all of them do--just stay away from Jiffy Lube!!!!!!!!! Most do this service for about 69.99 or around that area.