Analog to digital swicth

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

hey, what about all those buttons on the bottom right of the guage console that are seperate from it (mpg, trip, odo, etcetc), dont they have an extra set of wires that isnt in the analogs?? what happens there if you wanna switch?? is it part of the donor wires and harness or what?

Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah that would be another reason that you need the entire harness from the digital dash donor car.  The harness behind the dash is one giant long harness.  It includes the radio, HVAC controls, guages, headlights controls, wiper controls, fuse box, convenience center, etc etc.  Pretty much everything except the ECM I believe.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@Hotmail.com

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

gotcha thanks, sorry for the new threade.  now what is actually different between the full cluster analog harness and the digi dash harness?  i ask because once i change over fully to the digi dash, and lets say, hypothetically of  course , i want to switch back to my old guage pod, would i have to take my dash apart and put my old harness back in again?  im not sure if the analog is completely different or if theres just different wires.

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

I read through the entire thread here, and I'm sorry to have to ask, why does everyone NEED to make it more complicated than it is? Chris is 100% right on target, and sounds like he's made the conversion before. I personally can do it in about 5 to 6 hours depending on how much goop they bury the connector with in the engine bay. There is one small thing that Chris forgot to mention, and god knows that we can forgive him, because he must have been irritated that no one was listening. What he missed, was the outside ambient temp sensor, which is mounted behind the grille on the headlight mounting panel. You would also need this if you want the button on the dash when pushed, to give you a reading. I've been working on these things for a very, very long time, and will guarantee that any beretta from at least 88 to 90 will have the pig tail on the harness between both headlamps. So theres no need to worry about replacing the harness under the hood. But one more time, Chris gave it to you straight, a digital harness is different than analog, and the oil, and temp switches must be changed. As an added note, if you decide to make the change, retape the harness you're putting in, it'll be less sticky yo handle when putting it in the dash, and it will look neater too, besides the securing clips always come out of the old tape and the harness won't want to stay in place!!!!! Been there done that.....  John  

Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

Thanks John
I havent done the swap (not really anyways) but Ive done pretty much everything associated with the swap.  Ive pulled an old style dash (and the newer) and Ive removed the harness from a JY car (although I wasnt very gentle, hehe).
Yeah I forgot about the outside temp sensor.  Oops  I also tend to forget about the oil pressure sending unit when people ask about going from a basic to the full guage cluster.
Im not perfect, ask anyone who has ever met me
Thanks for the correction tho.
Can you pull and replace an old style dash and harness in 5-6 hours?  Thats impressive.  The first (and only) time I pulled my old style dash it took me 4 hours just to get the stupid thing out.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com