Center console question

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Center console question

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know the easiest way to take off the shifter knob on an automatic? I also want to take my shifter plate that is on the center console off to really clean it off and adjust the numbers. ( P R N ect) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Center console question

Post by Guest »

This is an easy one, take a flat head screw driver and look at the front part of the shifter, that faces the radio.  There is a "U" shaped pin holding it in.  Just pop that pin out and lift up, DO NOT TWIST.  Then the other part should pop with a flathead also.

Real easy, should take you under a minute for both, either that or I've spent too much time in the junkyard.

Center console question

Post by Guest »

OH, by the way.  Put the cars tranny in L, and put the ebrake on.  It will make it easier to see the U pin.

Center console question

Post by Guest »

thats a nice car

Center console question

Post by Guest »

Quote (rollerchicken @ Mar. 08 2003,22:55)I also want to take my shifter plate that is on the center console off to really clean it off and adjust the numbers. ( P R N ect) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
In order to take off the plate part you are talking about, that can be gently pryed off after the shifter knob is removed by using a screw driver.  You'll then have to disconnect the cigarette lighter wiring, trunk release wiring, and the little light (twist and pull) that lights up the (P R D etc.)  Once that's off you flip that piece over and use a tiny phillips to take off the screws that hold the white piece of plastic that protects the (P R D etc) and clean it all up.