Tranny linkage '89 gt

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Tranny linkage '89 gt

Post by Guest »

I have a 89 GT 2.8L V6, I have lost 5th and Reverse.  I was told the problem is in the linkage in the transmission.  Can someone tell me briefly what it entails to fix this?

Thanks!

Bill

Tranny linkage '89 gt

Post by Guest »

have you looked at your linkages? because i also have an 89gt 5spd and my linkages run right on top of my A/c line and has actually put a hole into it. you might check to see if anything is blocking it,  also another question to add could the linkages on my car rubbing on that a/c line hurt anything?

Tranny linkage '89 gt

Post by Guest »

Quote (redberettaguy @ Jan. 09 2003,21:41)I have a 89 GT 2.8L V6, I have lost 5th and Reverse.  I was told the problem is in the linkage in the transmission.  Can someone tell me briefly what it entails to fix this?

Thanks!

Bill

Sounds like the cable that controls these two gears, has broken. Get another person to help, you watch the levers on the trans, while they tell you what gear they are putting it into. Chances are, when it goes into 5th or reverse, you won't see any leavers or cable ends move. If you do see things move when in 5th or reverse, then the problem is internal. ÂÂÂ

berettajeep

Tranny linkage '89 gt

Post by berettajeep »

Quote (JCZ26 @ Jan. 10 2003,09:31)Quote (redberettaguy @ Jan. 09 2003,21:41)I have a 89 GT 2.8L V6, I have lost 5th and Reverse.  I was told the problem is in the linkage in the transmission.  Can someone tell me briefly what it entails to fix this?

Thanks!

Bill

Sounds like the cable that controls these two gears, has broken. Get another person to help, you watch the levers on the trans, while they tell you what gear they are putting it into. Chances are, when it goes into 5th or reverse, you won't see any leavers or cable ends move. If you do see things move when in 5th or reverse, then the problem is internal. ÂÂÂ
.This happened to me too.It is probably most definetly the cable,which has frayed.look in between the motor and fire wall.

beretta is gone. -sigh-

Tranny linkage '89 gt

Post by Guest »

Which cable is it? They are kinda bangin into each other where they bolt in.

berettajeep

Tranny linkage '89 gt

Post by berettajeep »

Quote (redberettaguy @ Jan. 10 2003,17:29)Which cable is it? They are kinda bangin into each other where they bolt in.
I want to say it is the one on the passenger side at the fire wall or the one closer to the motor,but I am not 100% sure.
 I would go check my car but it is snowing,cold,and very windy

beretta is gone. -sigh-

Tranny linkage '89 gt

Post by Guest »

Like I said, Quote Get another person to help, you watch the levers on the trans, while they tell you what gear they are putting it into.