The power door locks

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

The power door locks

Post by Guest »

When my car is off, and I try to use the power door locks, they don't work good, sometimes they get stuck.  BUT when my car is started, they work great.  I bought a keyless entry system and the doors do not unlock all the way, is it from lack of power?

The power door locks

Post by Guest »

That sounds about right. What kind of condition is your battery in?

The power door locks

Post by Guest »

I had my alternator changed about 2 months ago, and when he did that he charged the battery completely, so it is fully charged. mabey some wd-40 around the motor will make it move  better.

The power door locks

Post by Guest »

Is it cold where you live?  The colder it is, the harder it may be for older lock selenoids to lock/unlock all the way.  You might try using WD-40 down the selenoid shaft.  While you've got the door panel off, snap the lock rod out of its plastic guides and clean them really good, and wipe the rod clean where it slides in the guides.  Last summer I did this, along with re-greasing the inside of the lock selenoid, and it made the locks work like new.

The power door locks

Post by Guest »

I will do that, but right now the temp is in the low 20's for highs, and about 10 at night in ny, so I am going to wait until it warms up to finish the job.  But while I was talking the door panel off the back of it the clips that hold the inner panel to the door, it riped off the inner door, do they sell replacements?

The power door locks

Post by Guest »

Yep they sell new clips for your door panels. Just take a trip down to Autozone or whatever (Canadian Tire has them up here). Bring a old one with you to compare.