old subject, but i need some help

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made
31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

Hey guys. Sorry, I know this is an old subject, but I just recently got some money to deal with the intake on my 88' base (old owner went cheap and just put a cheap cone filter on the end of the stock hose). I understand how to do most of the change to get rid of the MAF sensor, but when I was reading more into on Bstuff, it said this - "You will also need to go to your GM Dealership and get a chip set up for Speed Density, or order a performance chip programmed for Speed Density."

Am I understanding this right, that I have to go to the nearest dealer to get a diff chip?  If so, how much would it cost? Most of what I read before never mentioned this, they only told how to actually remove the MAF sensor itself. Once again, sorry for bringing it back up, thanks for any help.

P.S. Would it matter if the car had a 3.1 swapped in? because I don't know the year of the engine.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I have found many cars in the salvage yard to be of great help.  What I'd do is goto the local yard and look for a Beretta with your same type of engine/trans (2.8MPFI w/t 3t40 unless you have a 5 speed) and make sure the Beretta is a 1989.  Take the whole ECU with chip (memcal) .  Put it in then do the rest (IAT change over) .

_________
-------------
nicky gio88gt

Post by nicky gio88gt »

but you can still just put a performance chip on your 88 ecu and that'l work to right?

89' Buick Riviera
88' Beretta Gt (project car)
gar187er

Post by gar187er »

yea and cost alot more!!!

ECU's from junkyard = 5 finger discount!!!!  
Jet chip or similar = $100

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
31beretta

Post by 31beretta »

So do I grab everything with the ECU, like wires and all, or just use what I have now and just grab the ECU/ MEMCAL? Where on the car would I find it? Another thing is mine had a 3.1 swapped into it before I bought it so, I don't know what year or car it came out of, is 89' the only year you can get the ECU out of? because I don't remember there being a 3.1 available in 89'.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

That

and inside a memcal/Chip will be in it.  The whole thing is what you want.

_________
-------------
White88GT

Post by White88GT »

I just did this to my car and my car has a 3.1 in it too.  Just grab a memcal from a 89 that has the same transmission as you (auto or manual). The chip for a 3.1 isnt that much different from what i have been told.  I tried putting a chip in from a 92 GT with the same setup and my speedometer was way off. They changed how speed is read.  You can also get a chip from ben over at 60degreev6 it's 130$ but proven for 5-6 hp at the wheels.
http://60degreev6.com/store/index.php?a ... roductId=3