Stock 3.1 Airbox compatibility

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made
Wanako

Stock 3.1 Airbox compatibility

Post by Wanako »

If some of you remember, the 2.8 came with that circle shape airbox and filter and the 3.1 came with the square style. Have any of you ever replaced the circle one with the square one and have you experienced any fitment issues? thanks.

Money pit Beretta

Re: Stock 3.1 Airbox compatibility

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Wanko I'd run a CAI or WAI. The stock air box sucks for flow. I even used plumbing rubber tubes and a PVC 45*(cut to fit)to get rid of the stock tube. That did help, but my CAI blew it away. A WAI would still be much better than stock.

By the way I still have that set up, stock box and a K&N drop in from my old 3.1 downstairs. Are you going for a OE look? There was a mount on the inner fender that the stock box mounted to.

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Wanko I'd run a CAI or WAI. The stock air box sucks for flow. I even used plumbing rubber tubes and a PVC 45*(cut to fit)to get rid of the stock tube. That did help, but my CAI blew it away. A WAI would still be much better than stock.

By the way I still have that set up, stock box and a K&N drop in from my old 3.1 downstairs. Are you going for a OE look? There was a mount on the inner fender that the stock box mounted to.
I have a smog test coming up so I can't do a WAI/CAI unless it's CARB certified. The Soviets here don't like Aftermarket. Some BS about air and pollution or something like that. :roll: I just need to know if any cuts or something is required to fit this style air box in. I do know about the mount/bracket though. I already have the unit ready but I don't have a car of that year to compare it to. I might have to look in the yards this weekend to check it out.

Money pit Beretta

Oh yes CARB. Sorry, very tired.

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Oh yes CARB. Sorry, very tired.
no worries. CARB regulations are infinite amounts of fail.

Money pit Beretta

I forget...can you mod the stock stuff? I just remember they had the dumbest things that they would not let pass. Sure it was all about some payment to the board so it could pass(more or less).
I thought the round one had some sort of cold air scoop on it. More like a ram air, unlike the 3.1 that pulled from the fender.

keep'em flying!
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

yes, it does have a type of Ram Air effect but the filters are nearly impossible to find on this side of the country, so I just want to convert it over to something that is more common. I'm just gonna look in the yards this weekend. See what I can find out. Thanks MPB.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

You're going to have to remove the MAF to run that square air box... That's when it changed from 88 to 89.

Cliff Scott
Wanako

Post by Wanako »

Cliff8928 wrote:You're going to have to remove the MAF to run that square air box... That's when it changed from 88 to 89.
yea I took out the MAF already. Bitch MAF.

May it :burn: in hell.

Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

Um... My 2.8L came with the square box.

I don't see how the shape of the box will affect anything functionality wise. You silly.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
Money pit Beretta

Keep me up to date on this. If you don't find one I'll send you mine with the K&N. Been holding on to that stuff for someone with an early car for years.

keep'em flying!
Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

My 2.8 also had the square box. I thought the only cars that came with the round thing were the 2.0 motors. Maybe a Kali thing. Learn somthin every day.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

My 88 GTU has the round setup, my 89 GT had the square box. Are you just looking for the K&N filter? I have my whole setup here if you need it. I could sell you the filter if that's all you need too I suppose. It has a whopping 150 miles on it. I wont be using it anymore anyway.
Let me know.
J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Aside from the MAF issue (which isn't since you removed it), there should be no issues fitting it at all... You just need the bracket, box, tube and IAT. I actually think I have all that stuff sitting around...

Cliff Scott
Money pit Beretta

Wow! Man Wanko you have alot of support around here! But it looks like Cliff wins. Also my K&N has at least 1 or 2K on it. 88_GTU has got me on that one.

keep'em flying!