Tiffwad's Turbo - 2013 Chevy Cruze Eco

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
woody90gtz

Tiffwad's Turbo - 2013 Chevy Cruze Eco

Post by woody90gtz »

Here is Tiff's new car, in all its 1.4L of glory. Cyber gray with 6spd manual (Eco triple overdrive gear set). Turbo puts out 16psi stock, but with just a tune it will do 22psi and is a dyno-proven gain of 36hp and 54tq. That's huge for an engine factory rated at 138hp@4100/148tq@1850. I was worried about the 138hp rating until I saw the rpm...all the power is down low kinda like a diesel. It easily out pulls her Subaru up hills and the listed 1/4 mile times are about the same (mid-low 16s).

It's rated at 42mpg highway, but there are plenty getting just over 50mpg stock. With the tune it is actually better both ways...about 1mpg in mpg mode (cruise switch armed) and a little over 1sec 1/4 in sport mode (cruise switch off). Tune voids the warranty on the powertrain if they find it, but it might be worth the gamble.

First mod will be a simple K&N intake so she can hear the BOV better. I also grabbed some Plasti-Dip to black out all that gay chrome.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
ShaneLT(ShaneZ26)

Re: Tiffwad's Turbo - 2013 Chevy Cruze Eco

Post by ShaneLT(ShaneZ26) »

i have a 2012 cruze lt 1.4turbo 6speed manual. what did he tune it with?
Last edited by ShaneLT(ShaneZ26) on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Bypassed the air diffuser the first night because according to cruzetalk.com "it's so much louder and more responsive!" They are full of crap. So that's why the K&N is going on it.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

It isn't tuned yet, but Vince from Trifecta sells it basically plug-n-play. Upload the tune, datalog a drive, send the log to Vince and if it needs any tweaks he makes them and sends the new file. Pretty simple. It also is done in "transparency mode" which is supposed to make it really tough for the dealer to see.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

woody90gtz wrote:It isn't tuned yet, but Vince from Trifecta sells it basically plug-n-play. Upload the tune, datalog a drive, send the log to Vince and if it needs any tweaks he makes them and sends the new file. Pretty simple. It also is done in "transparency mode" which is supposed to make it really tough for the dealer to see.
Yeah.. We've had a few Camaros come in with them being tuned "transparently". Basically the new program that goes into it has the same program ID # as the last. GM has caught onto this and when they see the same program ID # 2+ times they will void the warranty. So just be careful. The PCMs will log the last 10 program ID #s which is how they know. If I ever decide to program my Cruze I plan on getting a JY ECM and burning my VIN into it and tuning that ECM. Then if something breaks I can just install the stock ECM.

But I love the Color :D. Mine's just a plain Jane white one..

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I thought the "transparency" sounded too good to be true. I assume that is something that only comes up during warranty engine work? Or would they look for that during an oil change or other unrelated problems?

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Carson21R

Post by Carson21R »

my friend has a ss/tc cobalt with a trifecta tune. shits no joke. good pickup though. ive always wanted a cruze.

Koots

Post by Koots »

I'm really digging the Cruze's, especially with a diesel on the way (last I heard).

They aren't exactly my bag, in the styling department, but I like everything else about them.

The idea of the same drivetrain in a Sonic sounds like fun too, now that I think about it...

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I like the front ends on them. I'm not a big fan of 4-doors or the tail end, but it's getting tough to find cars offered with a standard trans. I almost kicked through the firewall on it, though...I was surprised how light the clutch pedal was!

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

Generally it is only checked with engine replacements. And that's only on certain vehicles.. I've only had to check them on trucks, Camaros and a couple Cobalts. If the tech suspects that the vehicle has been tuned/modified (and wants to be a jerk) then they will check it on any vehicle. So you "should" be safe. But again, instead of risking it you may look into having a spare module. One module with the trifecta tune, and one without that you install if something bad happens.

The 1.4T Sonics are really fun to drive. I feel that they have a little less body roll. But when it comes to the all around feel of the vehicle, I like the Cruze more. I struggled trying to decide which of the two I wanted but when it came down to it, a used Cruze was a little less expensive with the options I wanted. The main reason I wanted a Sonic was the headlights..

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Its not a BOV you turbo newb! its a re-circulation valve that's why its so quite! I still have mine recirculate back into the intake because without it setup that way I'll get rich spikes between shifts from the MAF registering air that's just getting dumped and it will dump fuel and cause a loud exhaust pop... I get little burps with it setup this way which I think sounds better.

This is also why I will probably never own a new car... I hate dealing with warranty stuff and having to worry about farting in it and voiding the warranty.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

cool ride! and close to a color match for the pair there!

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Everyone on the Cruze forums calls it a BOV. Either they are all wrong and no one has corrected any of them, or is a true BOV. Whatever it is, it is quite quiet with the stock air filter housing.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The Valve on these cars as well as mine are recirculating and not blowing off the air, I guess in the end it doesn't really matter but for some when you say BOV they think your venting to atmosphere which in your case you are not.

The same thing applied on mine, with the stock air box and air box expansion chamber the diverter valve made no noise at all, thats what all of that is there for to cancel out those noises and make the car quiet... I now have a different valve but it still dumps back in the same location so it's still quiet but you can hear it just a bit with my cone filter. Be proud you just did your first ricer mod on the car... Modded for noise and not performance... LOL! well minus maybe the increase in air flow with the K&N. Dryflow filters are a bit better if you used an oiled style K&N. I'm currently running an AEM dryflow on my Legacy and it prevents any of the media oil from getting on the MAF and getting it sticky and possibly dirty.

If you say BOV on the Legacy forum and you have a Diverter valve in place they will whine and cry about as much as some members do on here about nothing. Oh and you also replaced your air filter with an aftermarket one... Honestly does anyone bitch about doing that without a tune on the Cruze forums? Because damn if you say you put a cone filter on, or a KN panel filter in place of the stock Subaru filter without tuning your car or doing a MAF re-scale you would think you just committed Blasphemy or something...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Apparently the Injen kit requires a tune to run right because of how it changes the MAF reading, but the K&N is fine. Don't have one yet, got a bid on one from ebay for almost $100 cheaper than new. I guess the Trifecta tune is a little different for K&N vs stock airbox.

Car kinda sucks in the snow. Gonna grab a set of Blizzaks for it. And I think paint those stupid shiny wheels body color at the same time. Have to see what I get for a quote.

Found some stock "RS" 17s to mount the summer tires on for a decent price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-OEM-CHEVY-CRU ... 58&vxp=mtr

GEARHEAD dezign youtube