anybody play around with android OS?

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
themadness

anybody play around with android OS?

Post by themadness »

just curious if any of you guys goof around with rooting and roms for android phones and tablets. i have a couple of phones that i use for wi fi around the house and on long trips. i have rooted a droid one and galaxy prevail but havent gotten into new ROMs and such. right now i use a pantech pocket as a mini tablet running gingerbread. thing has a 4 inch 4:3 screen and runs netflix fairly well.

any favorite apps or tips to maximize performance on these devices?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: anybody play around with android OS?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I used to play with roms on my phone when I had a HTC Tilt, but after dealing with that crashing all the time from unstable roms I just said F-it and I've left my HTC inspire alone.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

Titanium Backup is awesome. You can uninstall/disable manufactures bloatware and also backup apps with settings for when you flash different roms.

I use Antutu to benchmark changes I have made to see if they make any difference in performance.

Rooted and installed roms on 7 different devices. I am also working on a berettafest app for Android OS.

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile
themadness

Post by themadness »

i tried titanium backup and didnt like it. i use gemini app manager on the 2 devices i have now and it lets me do basically the same thing. i havent installed any custom roms on anything i have now. i got rid of a galaxy prevail the i used odin and clockwork mod to back up and then put "CTmod" rom on it. it was improved but i didnt really see anything dramatic. the instability countered the performance so i restored it to factory. i'm always afraid i will brick the device i'm using when i start swapping ROMs.

i'd like to learn to develop apps. my wife wants to build one for her school program. that would look pretty damn stellar on her resume. its amazing how much people make from goofy little games and such.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy player 5.0 and that was it.

Never felt the need to do much else as even without root, the phone did everything.
Before this phone, I had the iPod touch, that thing was locked down like fort nox, the thing was useless until I hacked it.

I have a Uniden Android tablet, I managed to overclock it a little, but have not found a way to do much else with it. the kernel is locked out.
Other than that, it was a little to slow. Now its reasonable, the battery only lasts a couple hours though. Great for reading PDF files in class when your stuck with the worlds smallest desk.

I just got a Windows 8 slate PC from Samsung, the 700T pro model. The thing is epic. Perfect for school, does descent on games. 9 hours of battery life doing school related activities, 4-5 hours watching movies online, and 2-3 hours gaming.
Comes with detachable Laptop keyboard dock and stylus pen.
I bought it mainly because I need an actual computer and not a mobile software type thing like android as much.

However, I do like my android tablet, although it has a 7" screen, it still fits in my pocket. lol 8)

themadness

Post by themadness »

which uniden did u get?

theres a mach speed 5 inch tab at kmart for 60 bucks. the cheap chinese tabs arent bad actually. i had a coby 7 inch that wasnt worth pissing on b/c it had a resistive touch screen. since then i have owned a 7" polaroid and an emerson 4.3", both from big lots, that were great. i sold the emerson b/c i just dont like ICS 4.0.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

I am still not sure. I only could find it was rooted and ran android 4.0.4.
i did find others who had it, said I'd post the kernel if i ever figured out how to read it. Its not as straight forward like on my samsung phone.

it was 50 dollars no returns, i believe it was at some warehouse store, not sams club, i forget.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

i got a visionland prestige 7" tablet through US walmart for $100. it had great reviews, especially at the price. I wanted something to load school PDF texts on as well... (bought it with the savings of returning textbooks actually...). i ordered that on december 23, and then a bud told my the samsung tab 7+ (last years model) went on clearance for $150 on boxing day... so i ordered that up... now to sell the other one.

i also have a samsung galaxy s3 phone... i don't mess with rooting anything as i just need to. happy with what they are, and a few apps to help things. (actually a tip that some may find handy,,, we just got LTE network coverage in our area, for my provider just after i got the new phone... then i noticed my battery life took a huge dive, and i wasn't using it that often. You can go into your settings and choose to turn off the LTE network coverage. 4G is quite fast enough, and twice the battery life.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

I thought 4G was sufficient enough for cell phones and tethering a computer?

What do people want, a portable 100/100 wireless connection? lol

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

GHOSTOWLGRID wrote:What do people want, a portable 100/100 wireless connection? lol
I don't know how it would help because most peoples internet is only a peak of 30mb down and maybe 15-30mb up if your using a Business account, otherwise most home speeds are around 25mb/5mb

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
rparnell

Post by rparnell »

I have a Nexus One and had to root it to allow myself to store apps on the external memory card. Otherwise, I kept running out of room and had to delete things if I wanted to install a new app. It was very frustrating.

Beretta1234567

Post by Beretta1234567 »

rparnell wrote:I have a Nexus One and had to root it to allow myself to store apps on the external memory card. Otherwise, I kept running out of room and had to delete things if I wanted to install a new app. It was very frustrating.
This is strange for me to hear, Mine already had the option to install to the internal SD or the external SD aside from the designated app location.
Each one had to be installed first then moved under app settings.
I moved all the games to the external SD because they are lerger than the rest, and the internal is faster. Although I have noticed, when you get more than 25-30 apps, android slows down for some reason, even on the fastest of phones and with minimal background processes and extra ram available.

I have over 100 some apps, so My phones lags a lot.

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

I rooted my old Captivate multiple times; then perma-bricked it when I forgot to flash the boot loader file before the Android OS flash. I've since left all of my other phones stock. My Galaxy SIII is super nice, even though I do wish I could get rid of the USCellular BS.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT