putting an engine in a 2000 pontiac grand am gt 3400 auto...

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
speedy

putting an engine in a 2000 pontiac grand am gt 3400 auto...

Post by speedy »

i need some help, my old mans grand am opsu(replace yours if you havent) blew out, caused a lost of a significant amount of oil, fixed the sensor, add'd oil, now she's knocking... sooo... i gotta put a motor in the car, im pretty mechanicly inclined, but ive never dealt with a fwd automatic car, and i hate the v6's to boot(no room to work), but my question is, does the trans come out the top with the motor like a q4 does, or wont it fit? and how does the trans mount to the motor, do i have to unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate, does it have to line up a certain way or what??? again, i dont deal with automatics, they arent my thing so i know very little about them.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
Slinky

Re: putting an engine in a 2000 pontiac grand am gt 3400 aut

Post by Slinky »

Its probably a 4t45e trans, Oh I know is it's difficult as it is to get the trans out through the bottom you Dafinatly can't pull it up over top of the motor without taking the motor out, I find it easier to remove through the bottom but some people remove the engine and everything and take it through the top

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
speedy

Post by speedy »

well,the through the bottom id have to support the body, support subframes, unbolt the subframes, and drop the suspension with it then find a way to drag it out from under the car and raise the car above it.. i have an engine hoist, not a crane in my garage or lift so i keep it simple, so if i pull the axles, unplug everything and unbolt the exhaust, can i take the engine with the trans bolted to it, out the top, thats my first question??

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Yes you should be able to remove it from the top the whole subframe deal is the reason people remove it from the top so they don't have to mess with any of that just remove your hood and pool it all out through the top

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

I sent you a PM with the instructions to replace the engine. Just leave the transmission in there but support it with a jack (but with a block of wood of course). Remove the torque converter bolts through the starter hole and rotate the engine. When you're installing the new engine, you don't have to index the torque converter to the flywheel any special way. But don't tighten the first bolt down all the way. Install all 3 in finger-tight before torquing them. Otherwise you won't be able to get the other 2 in.

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Z26_T wrote:I sent you a PM with the instructions to replace the engine. Just leave the transmission in there but support it with a jack (but with a block of wood of course). Remove the torque converter bolts through the starter hole and rotate the engine. When you're installing the new engine, you don't have to index the torque converter to the flywheel any special way. But don't tighten the first bolt down all the way. Install all 3 in finger-tight before torquing them. Otherwise you won't be able to get the other 2 in.
Yeah, what he said...

I did a 2.4 from a 2000 GA SE last year, and finally figured out that GM actually cast in a pocket in the starter hole to hold a socket so the engine can't rotate while you are removing the torque-converter bolts -very nice, especially since the starter is on the upper front of the engine. I've owned four or five of these engines, and just now figured this out?? :roll:

I hear what you are saying about not having room to work around the V-6s, but the four-bangers are actually longer, I believe. Definitely just unbolt the engine from the tranny, the extra PITA you will have doing that will save twice that much from trying to shoe-horn the complete drivetrain in and out of the car, and probably save you from the headache of crushing other parts there too, like the brake master cylinder.

Good luck, keep us in the loop, pics are welcome too.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

speedy wrote:well,the through the bottom id have to support the body, support subframes, unbolt the subframes, and drop the suspension with it then find a way to drag it out from under the car and raise the car above it.. i have an engine hoist, not a crane in my garage or lift so i keep it simple, so if i pull the axles, unplug everything and unbolt the exhaust, can i take the engine with the trans bolted to it, out the top, thats my first question??
More like... jack the car up, put on jackstands, remove subframes and set aside, lower engine onto moving dolly,etc... Attach engine hoist to where front subframe bolts were, lift car up, roll out engine.

Cliff Scott