the sad state of my car radio wiring harness

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
themadness

the sad state of my car radio wiring harness

Post by themadness »

i pulled my camaro's radio and found this to be the condition of the wiring harness. i currently have no sound to the rear speakers, an intermittent popping when the radio gets power and random speaker outages. u can see there are 2 wires which have no insulation at all. all in all a pretty horrible chop job. how do i fix it? can i get a factory harness and splice/crimp?
Attachments
2013-11-04 16.00.14.jpg

BerettaLove32

Re: the sad state of my car radio wiring harness

Post by BerettaLove32 »

You could cut out that chop job and put new wire in. Not sure if this picture helps but cut where the red lines are and solder in some new wires.

themadness

Post by themadness »

my plan was to get a new harness.....
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_126 ... 7AodnAcALg

and splice it in but i have no clue of the condition of the wires that are wrapped in tape. are there any other electronic components involved in that group of wires?

BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

It's all wires for your audio system, so speakers, and power to the radio stuff like that. You could get a new wiring harness. I'm sure most of your problems are in that wiring. I'd be scared of what's behind that electrical tape as well. Probably broken wires somewhere in that mess and obviously with the exposed wire stuff is touching that shouldn't be touching. The good news is wiring harnesses are fairly simple to do.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Get some heat-shrink tubing, a soldering-iron, and fix it right, especially if you are putting in the effort to replace the harness all together. On a lot of the GM cars, along with the speaker wires, ignition power, battery always hot wire, and ground, you will also have a wire from the dimmer switch (variable voltage 0V+ to 12V+, this is usually grey) and a wire from the exterior lighting switch to tell the factory stereo to dim the clock (IIRC, typically a brown wire). Good luck.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26