Camaro paint job...after almost 10 years

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
woody90gtz

Re: Camaro paint job...after almost 10 years

Post by woody90gtz »

I think the door gap saga is now over...pretty happy with the fitment. I highly recommend the 1/8 solid rod method to anyone tasked with this crap. haha

Next issue: fiberglass! Hood and rear spoiler fitment. I am so highly excited...

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Woooooooo fiberglass.

Two studs on the spoiler were gone so I cut some all-thread and glued it in with resin. (Notice the Buick door work bench since my dad stole my saw horses) haha Each end had cracks in them, so I wadded them full of duraglass once I ground them out.

To get the spoiler aligned with the end pieces and fitting the deck lid better I had to add a little bit to the bottom side. So I taped the deck lid, laid duraglass on the deck lid and installed the spoiler. As it was starting to kick I ran the spreader down the front and I think it will smooth out really easily.

Then it was just some perfection work for the gaps and the alignment to the ends. I think I have it close enough for regular filler now. I'll see after I sand it.

Hopefully all is well when it's done. Alignment was horrible before, and with the dark blue that's going on the reflection would stick out like a sore thumb I'm sure. I don't think it ever really shined when it was maroon so it didn't look as bad! haha

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Cut the spoiler off, cleaned up the bottom side and got the fitment perfect.

And saw a quote in the new Hot Rod that seems directly applicable...

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Made myself a bondo spreader on the CNC at work. Hopefully it helps me get the 3 pieces of the spoiler matching perfect. Should be a lot easier than what I have been doing...

Hood openings need work too. I'm trying to finish up the spoiler before moving on to the next issue, but I may be able to save some time by ordering a new nose. I'm still not excited about using the one I have. There are some waves in it, and has tiny little cracks when you sand it all the way down to the urethane. Wondering if a different nose will fit at the hood differently. The nose I'm looking at is the Stinger fiberglass one (same place that made my hood).
https://www.americansportscar.com/produ ... front-flex

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Camaro progress killer for a month or two:

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

So I bought the Stinger nose. My dad was headed to Mopar Carlisle to sell parts and Stinger was going to be there as a vendor...so I called them up and had them send a sweet Chevy nose on the truck with all their Mopar junk! haha Saved me about $200 in boxing/shipping charges.

Quality looks pretty good. I do see a couple minor flaws, but that's the beauty of fiberglass...it's easy to fix!

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Started installing the nose. I studded the fenders to make it easier to bolt on. Doing the bolts from the front was always a pain because there was no direct shot to get on them, you had to screw around with a knuckle or bend the urethane. Neither are a good solution... So now it goes on and I can start the nuts by hand. Then they are easily tightened with a knuckle on a long extension.

Fitment at the fender extension kinda sucked, and I saw a post about steel supports that were never on my car. So I fabbed some up out of 1/8". Seems to work pretty well.

Hood gap sucks though. So that's something I need to tackle. Hinges need rebuilding before that though. So I'm drilling and using 1/2" bolts and nuts. Going to tack the nut to the bolt when I get the pivot at the tightness I want.

Test fit the headlight & signal buckets, and grilles. None of them fit great, so they will take a little work too. But I kinda like that it almost looks like a car!

So now I'm working on getting the spoiler perfect...finishing the last fitment project before tackling the newest one...

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
weba

Post by weba »

I'm very skeptical about fiberglass aftermarket parts, most I've seen are race car -quality meaning fitment is bad but it doesn't matter since not meant for show car. Good luck :)

spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

judging by the massage work he did to the door. i'm pretty sure he can handle a little fiberglass bumper :) the only thing i dont like is its not flexible. i'm terrible about pulling my car in the garage, i always hit something i'd be afraid to mangle the crap out of that bumper thats why i havent repainted mine or care to at this point.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
EPfiffner

Post by EPfiffner »

I finally had a chance to read this thread so I'm bringing it back. Awesome work, looks great!

I have mad respect for the bodywork, I'm at that stage in my project as well. Fill, sand, damn still too low, repeat...

I've always dug that body style. Its gonna be a beast!

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

So, no updates in forever. Been plugging along with progress. Gonna do this by pasting a bunch of nastyz posts:

Happy with the spoiler now. Check.

Ordered some hardware from boltdepot.com to rebuild my hinges. They have a TON of stuff. And I'm actually going to order some 3/8 brass washers and drill them to 1/2 because these 1/2 ones are huuuuge.

So, I like the way the hinges work now. I drilled all the 3/8 holes in the hinges to 1/2 and used a 1/2" shoulder bolt with a 3/8 stud. Plan is to blast and powdercoat the hinges, assemble, and tack the nut to the bolt when done. Maybe threadlocker would be better though. I haven't decided yet.

I posted in BS about an illustration I did with some 20" ZL1 wheels. Totally loving the concave face and the blacked out look. Looks pissed off. NASTY! But I was a little worried that 20" wheels would just look too big.

So I had a friend come over and I tried the stock SS 20s...

No bueno.

Too big.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I saw Fesler just released a flush mount glass kit for 70-74 with a the rear in the works for 75-81 and it got me all excited! Then I looked at the price and decided to see what other options there are... haha

This is a roll of T-trim that I used on my Beretta. It's a Dodge Dakota spec that is used as a universal. I'm going to check to see if there is something similar available that is slightly wider than 1/2". To set it up like the first picture I will have to weld additional metal to 3 of the 4 dimensions. To set it up like the second pic I may be able to use a 3/4 or something and have it look pretty good.

I'm pretty damn sick of body work though. And I do need to spray my subframe and inner fenders, and probably reshoot the firewall. So I dropped the engine in to do some final mockup.

Going to gusset the rear LCA mounting ears (since stock LCA brace doesn't fit with headers) and modify the G-braces to fit under the cowl instead of on top. Also hoping there is enough floor clearance to cut off the 3-bolt flanges and replace them with V-band clamps (did my whole truck exhaust with V-bands and love it).

I wanted to get all the EFI wiring harness stuff finalized, too. I'm adjusting wire length for a cleaner fit and I'll need at least one more hole in the firewall and a different disconnect for the distributor. Mounted my ignition coil on stand offs and really like the look. Also mounted the type-2 PS pump with my bracket and pulley from Speedway. Seems like pretty good stuff.

Cardboard header gaskets to keep from chewing up the alum heads. haha

First time with this engine in the car and the pan is pretty damn low.

This pic exaggerates it, but the pan looks to be about the lowest point for ground clearance. So that's not good. I did some research and found out it's a Summit pan with a 8.25 depth. So I'll be fine to cut it up and raise the sump an inch. Probably take me from 7qts to 5.5 or 6. I'll figure out the math.

Fabbed a cowl brace for the g-braces. I moved the g-braces under the cowl to gain some hood clearance, new hood is tight. I used some 3/4 x 1-1/2" bar stock as nuts and welded them to a thick wall gas pipe. Button head bolts keep hood clearance maxed out. I already have 1/8" plate welded under the cowl for some extra strength. Got some big washers I'm going to weld to the fenders too- there needs to be spacers for the g-brace mounts anyway.

I also drilled holes in the tunnel for wiring. Going to weld the stock wiring hole in the firewall shut. Decided after mocking stuff up that one wiring hole looks out of place with everything else being so clean.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Picked up some more parts on Black Friday sales...mainly DSE lower arms, QuickTime scatter shield and a Wilwood 7/8 master.

Fabbed a bracket and ran the throttle cable. First bracket didn't line up well so I offset it. Angle iron looks good when you clean it up! Going in the powdercoat pile.

The SFI bell is a big heavy SOB. I put it in to make sure my planned wiring routes would still be ok. Looks like it will.

DSE arms are like jewelry. Be a shame when they're all full of road grime. haha (Stockers are for sale in the swap meet section, with delrin bushings). What I really wanted was the added caster.
ImageImage

Plumbing in a puke tank to eliminate the PCV. At 11:1, I don't need oil reducing the effective octane of the fuel. Area was tight, so I'm doing a pair of 90s looping forward to clear the MSD coil and the g-brace.

Assembled the PTFE lines for the power steering with the S10 TypeII pump.

Also think I've decided on a fuel line solution. Regulator up front for accessibility with crossovers front and rear to minimize any pressure spikes from injectors firing (especially in MPFI batch mode). The regulator being so close to the rails should also help with that. Routing the lines far away from the headers should minimize any problems with heat soak. Have a couple fittings in the mail to finalize the plumbing, but this should be it:

Working on a project I started because of the aero thread on p-t. I've always wanted to smooth the fender vents, but they're pot metal. So I'm going to cut up the stock vent to use as a trim ring and fab the actual scoop out of the sheet metal. It's also going to quadruple the area for underhood air to exit (theoretically reducing drag and aiding in cooling).

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

And here's a link to the aerodynamics thread on p-t. Really interesting stuff if you're nerdy.
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1014 ... erformance

and my posts on pg 30
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1014 ... ost1205361

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
themixer

Post by themixer »

neato! will it do burnouts?