Help me pick a welder!

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
DanteGTZ

Help me pick a welder!

Post by DanteGTZ »

I've never owned a welder, although I've used a few. I find myself needing a welder more and more for various projects but honestly, I have no idea what to buy. Prices seem astronomically scary, but then again, I'm not sure I'm looking at exactly what I'd need, either.

I'd like a wire feed MIG (w/gas??) that will handle the small stuff but will also handle say ~3/16" steel as well. This will be a bit of a training exercise as well, but I'd like to buy something quality that I can grow into as my skill improves. What should I look for? What price range am I looking at?

Thanks!

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
bonecrrusher

Re: Help me pick a welder!

Post by bonecrrusher »

Heavywoody bought a Miller welder - it looks nice.

I'd skip the Harbor Freight/Hobart welders - get a quality one.

Probably going to spend around $1500+/- for one.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I hate to disagree... but it depends on the amount of welding you plan on doing. Do you expect to use this once a month on a weekend project, or every day for the foreseeable future?

For my "Brand name plug" I have a Linde-225 MIG welder, it's probably older than I am... They have been bought out by Esab IIRC, Now don't get me wrong this thing is built tough, and I'm sure I could build a bridge with it but its OVERKILL and I got it for $400 used from a friend at work that's the only reason why I have it. But when I went to buy a TIG welder I just grabbed a $450 one off of ebay that does TIG, Plasma cutting and stick welding. And so far the unit has done me well and I've done quite a few projects with it. Granted my projects have been very sporadic which is why I couldn't justify spending 2k on a Miller at the time. I'm not a fab shop...

Depending on what you need to do I don't see why a Hobart wouldn't fit the bill... I mean your not going to be welding exhaust every day and fabricating race cars for a living... And on that note the owner of the race car I worked on, his welder was a Harbor Freight special (Chicago Electric)... He's had it since before I started helping and that was in 01.

I was actually contemplating getting a Hobart middle of the road sized one because the Linde is very powerful and makes doing delicate work with it very difficult, you can't TIG everything.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

I use the predecessor to this model. It's worked good for anything I've needed. Runs on 120v and has the capability to use shielding gas. I did overheat it repairing a lift gate, but it just needed to cool down before it was back at it.

Cliff Scott
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I think something like that or just one step up and get a 220v version he should be golden... No need to drop 1500

This
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Elec ... /100670932

Or this
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/h ... -gun-ready

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

I think dollar for dollar you cant beat a Lincoln. I think the handler 140 (135 amps) is good but I prefer the 180 (175 amps) for its ability to go over 1/8". You will need a 220 outlet for that though. My favorite home welder is the Miller 211, I love that thing but I myself bought a NOS Lincoln 155 (155 amps) for $575 all said and done with a filled 110 cf tank. I wish I had gone bigger as I have needed to use Flux core on my trail trucks frame.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

I have a Lincoln 170 (220v) and couldn't be happier with it. I've done lot's of sheet metal and quite a bit of heavy stuff too and it has never given me problems. I won't tell you what I paid for it though...got it for a steal at Carlisle. It was so cheap it probably was stolen! haha

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I've got a Miller 211 (and really need to use it; it's sat untouched for a couple years now :( )

Hobarts are made by Miller, just FYI.

It's always a Lincoln vs Miller debate, just like Ford vs Chevy.

Pick what you like and go from there.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Good info, fellas! I didn't even know there was anything available in the 500-700 range! I assumed 1500 was going to be a minimum. Does Miller make a comparable unit to the Lincoln 180?

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Any suggestions for something that would do good alloy welding for at home use? I am getting burned out of taking my personal projects to the shop so I can resume finishing it there. Wouldnt be a problem if I had the space to just start and finish the project there, but unless I expand the walls out in the work are, I'm stuck at home doing what I can and lugging the aluminum with me to the shop. Plus, I dont have 440 hook up at home which is what the shop unit is config'd to use.

_________
-------------
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I know the 211 I have can be paired with a spool gun (about $275 extra) and will MIG aluminum.

Geoff
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

heavywoody wrote:I know the 211 I have can be paired with a spool gun (about $275 extra) and will MIG aluminum.
You say "will" but will it be of decent workmanship quality? 220v unit right? You know the amperage output specs?

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The Hobart can also be paired with a spool gun...

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/w ... andler190/

Another reason why I may get a mid grade unit... I can't do aluminum with my TIG since it's not DC, it's only an AC tig.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

From what I've seen at the welding place I bought my welder at, they looked to be nice quality welds. Not TIG'd by any means, but they looked pretty professional to me.

Specs here: http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig ... del=M00245

Geoff