My soon to be DD

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
ronaconda

My soon to be DD

Post by ronaconda »

Well, last spring i sprung for what will be my new daily driver. It's an 03 Saturn Vue with the 2.2 Ecotec and the sure-to-fail VTi trans which is why its on the dolly.

The trans failed for the previous owner and would have cost thousands to rebuild/replace so they unloaded it for a fraction of what it is worth working. My plan at the time was to rebuild the CVT trans as it looked very simple to rebuild, but after joining a Saturn forum, a better, much more reliable trans option became known and has a well documented swap history. This swap involves the 5-speed Aisin/Warner AF23 trans from the Saturn Ion.

After months of doing nothing with it because of being busy during the summer, i decided since i can't do anything outside because it's too effing cold, to finally pull the trigger on my swap. Also, parts needed to be procured from a V6 optioned Vue as it uses the V6 version of the AF23, and V6 Vue donor vehicles seem to be rare around here for some reason. It all started with getting some of the parts from someone in California who got me a mount, the TCM, the cooler lines, and the wiring harness...or so i thought. Once i got into the wiring, i realized that they had CUT the connectors for all of the transmission connections...which only gave me half of the wiring that i needed. After some research though, i realized that the section of wiring i needed could be from an Ion so i got that section and my wiring is now complete again. Now, on to the good stuff!!!

I debated opening the trans but wanting peace of mind that i got a good one won out...and i am glad i did. As soon as the pump was pulled, there was carnage...

Luckily, the pump cover/stator is the only damage. Everything else looks fantastic and i think i will have a really decent piece once it's all back together. I'll post progress as i go but, for now, more pics!!!

snowblindburd
Administrator

Re: My soon to be DD

Post by snowblindburd »

Looks like it should be a fun daily once it's done! It will be interesting to see your progress. Good thing you cracked that transmission open!

1991 Beretta GTZ
ronaconda

Re: My soon to be DD

Post by ronaconda »

Good thing indeed!!!