I've got to buy a different car...

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
KFLO 93 GT

I've got to buy a different car...

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

My current daily driver is a 98 Lumina LTZ, Series II 3800, 4 speed auto, and this thing is bleeding me dry when it comes to gas mileage. My job requires a lot of daily mileage, 100% in town miles, probably 50 per day on average - and I'm putting at least $10 worth of gas in this beast on a daily basis. I haven't done the math, because I don't want to know how bad the mileage is - but it sucks.

The car has 177,000 miles on it, needs both mufflers replaced and has an exhaust leak near the Y as well. Fixing the exhaust will definitely gain some mileage back, but I don't think it will be enough to keep me from putting more gas in than I get reimbursed for. I definitely like the car, and I know it's got a lot of reliable miles left in it - but at the same time upgrading the DD sounds like a nice idea.

So, here's the deal - I want your input. I've got stuff in mind, but I want some more.

Price limit is $7,500, possibly $8,000. I'd like to get something 2000 or newer, manual tranny is preferred but not a must, and it needs to get solid mileage in town. My job is in sales and marketing, so I take a lot of corporate people and business owners out - so the car has to be something reasonable. 4 cylinder compact cars are out, not looking to try and land an account and take them out to lunch in my civic/neon/cavalier/metro/(insert shitbox here).

I'm open to foreign and domestic. 2 doors or 4. Throw ideas at me!

I appreciate anything to browse for!

93 GTs
13's or bust

Re: I've got to buy a different car...

Post by 13's or bust »

Depending on the price for that lumina I might be interested in buying for my dd. My commute is only 15 miles a day.

How about an audi s4? Or a4. You can get them used for around that price. 1.8turbo or 2.7 twin turbo. Either way theyll be great cars for fuel economy, nice looking. Very luxurious in my opinion.

"Berettas are like a sickness...and it's incurable." quoted from woody90gtz

96 z26, 3500 swap, currently awaiting Holset HX35 :) ,also 96 beretta, 3400 swap, rebuilt trans, 15.2 choked up with 3100 older uim & lim.
Lothurin

Post by Lothurin »

I'd hate to say it, but look at a honda....

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Wrx. In your price range and pretty fun

Lothurin

Post by Lothurin »

Barry wrote:Wrx. In your price range and pretty fun

he did say good gas mileage:)

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Hell, just go get a Volt and be done with it. Would be perfect for you actually.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

DTMAce wrote:Hell, just go get a Volt and be done with it. Would be perfect for you actually.
KFLO 93 GT wrote:Price limit is $7,500, possibly $8,000. 4 cylinder compact cars are out...
The base suggested retail price for the 2011 Chevrolet Volt in the U.S. was $40,280 and it's a 4 cylinder compact car that is 5 times his spending limit and the only type of car he stated that he doesn't want, not so perfect... lol

I know I know, I'm guessing you didn't read his whole post, just giving ya crap Chris! lol :P :crazy: %) :ROFL: :burn: :runsies:

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

13's or bust wrote:How about an audi s4? Or a4. You can get them used for around that price. 1.8turbo or 2.7 twin turbo. Either way theyll be great cars for fuel economy, nice looking. Very luxurious in my opinion.

I like the Audi's too for a solid luxurious/sporty/reliable/economical choice. My Sister in law has a 2007 A6 2.7 TT AWD, and she loves it! He should be able to find a 2000-2005 in his price range!

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

I don't know if its in your price range.. but you should at least drive a 2008+ Malibu. Its a great comfortable ride. Go check one out and see what you think.
Last edited by SummitBalt08 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

13's or bust wrote:Depending on the price for that lumina I might be interested in buying for my dd. My commute is only 15 miles a day.

How about an audi s4? Or a4. You can get them used for around that price. 1.8turbo or 2.7 twin turbo. Either way theyll be great cars for fuel economy, nice looking. Very luxurious in my opinion.
Turbo Audi. UMmm... those are $$$ in repairs and require premium fuel.

I am looking for one right now, but i have the expensive parts for them in inventory.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

Scion Tc fits the characteristics you look for except the size.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
beretta

Post by beretta »

For that price range you could build a very nice beretta LOL....

$10 bucks a day in gas ? must be nice.. it cost me $20/day to work and home in the summer. i spend $100 a week just for work not including all my extra running around. i put 70,000 Km on my Z since middle of last April when i bought it.

Audi's are nice... its not really the expense of the parts to repair it, its the work involved in changing those parts LOL.. my friend had a 98 A4 1.8T.AWD. waste gate was vibrating like crazy, car had a shake in it while driving down the road, i still think it was the rear universals but my friend didnt think so. it needed front upper ball joints i think there is 4 uppers in it.
Wasnt really great on fuel either even before the waste gate was falling apart, it still cost him $25 minimum to do the same drive i did in the beretta every day for less money. and my 88 5 speed could keep up and pass it until far top end.

Dont buy a impalla unless its 05 or newer maybe, defiantly not one with the 3.8 L in it, a friend has a 03 with the 3.8 and it sucks the fuel back pretty good. a Malibu might be ok, my friend had a 98 with the 3100 and it drove really nice and was good on gas, nice smooth riding car.

Kyle Anderson

Post by Kyle Anderson »

I'm a big fan of the Saab 9-2x. It's a Subaru WRX wagon with a more attractive skin and a much lower resale price. The fuel economy isn't amazing, but it's respectable for an AWD wagon. You can pick one up well under your price range in nice shape.

88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

Kurt, come test drive my 08 malibu. You'll love it. They can be had at a relatively decent price too. A little more than you want to spend but worth every penny IMHO.

J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Yeah guys, I was just messing. Seriously, just drive a beretta. LOL

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan