Beretta Thunder

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
Money pit Beretta

Re: Beretta Thunder

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I always think it's a 95 when I look at it. Must be thinking of someone else that had one here. That's what I get for scrolling down the page so fast. Nope just blind.

keep'em flying!
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

I think I have that decal!

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
Staytrue2u89

Post by Staytrue2u89 »

I actually have a beretta thunder...its a 94 base 3rd gen..its a m vin which is mistake engine code..3rd gen 3100 wasnt supposed ,to be in a base model that year hence the mistake engine ode so they callld it the th under....the m vin in the 94 models like mine the year the 3rd gen motor had a hp gain...of 20hp the biggest gain in the 3rd gens years...has the 4l60e tranny

Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

Staytrue2u89 wrote:I actually have a beretta thunder...its a 94 base 3rd gen..its a m vin which is mistake engine code..3rd gen 3100 wasnt supposed ,to be in a base model that year hence the mistake engine ode so they callld it the th under....the m vin in the 94 models like mine the year the 3rd gen motor had a hp gain...of 20hp the biggest gain in the 3rd gens years...has the 4l60e tranny

I approved this post just to ask you what the heck you are on about. Because your post makes no sense.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

From what I can gather he thinks the Thunder is a model Beretta that has a letter M in the VIN and has 20 more hp than other Berettas. Awesome.

Staytrue2u89

Post by Staytrue2u89 »

They werr only model year 94 my buddy works for gm and i sell auto parts so y dont u tell me y they werr made one year... the first m vin year... with a bigger motor than any previous beretta and y every so calld thunder is a 94 model with 3rd gen 3.1 then??? Aint no Z26 but i bet u ran my vin mine one the most rare berettas

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

OHHH and a 4L60e? You have a RWD setup? because the L stands for longitude transmission.

I smell a troll...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Staytrue2u89 wrote:They werr only model year 94 my buddy works for gm and i sell auto parts so y dont u tell me y they werr made one year... the first m vin year... with a bigger motor than any previous beretta and y every so calld thunder is a 94 model with 3rd gen 3.1 then??? Aint no Z26 but i bet u ran my vin mine one the most rare berettas
Glad you aren't selling me auto parts because you are an IDIOT!

But just for fun, post your VIN and we can run it. The "m" code Berettas are certainly NOT rare at all!!
:crazy:
Last edited by Asylum on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

haha

FAIL.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Staytrue2u89 wrote:They werr only model year 94 my buddy works for gm and i sell auto parts so y dont u tell me y they werr made one year... the first m vin year... with a bigger motor than any previous beretta and y every so calld thunder is a 94 model with 3rd gen 3.1 then??? Aint no Z26 but i bet u ran my vin mine one the most rare berettas
Now, now, this is no way to welcome a new member onto the board... We've all made mistakes, and not everyone knows all details about Berettas -I myself didn't believe in the '94 Quad Z-26 until I was practically beaten over the head with it... Our site is full of 'SS' Berettas, 'T-Type' (mine), 'GTi V-8' (also mine), 'Supercharged GTZs', (thanks to woody) a soon-to-be 'GTU 3.8 Supercharged' (yep, mine) and 3400/3500 and turbo everything... So whatever.

Staytrue2u89, Here are some facts. In 1994, the V-6 that came in the Berettas was the 3100 SFI 'M' vin engine -that was the standard equipment, not some odd-ball rarity. Sorry. The automatic transmission that came attached to the 3100 'M' was the 4T60-E overdrive automatic. Here are some more facts: the 3100, be it 'M'-code or 'J' code, was the exact same 191 cubic-inch displacement as the 3.1 MPFI V-6 introduced into the Berettas in 1990, and elsewhere in 1989. Bore and stroke are identical at 89mm x 84mm. My '95 Z-26 has some internals (piston/rod) from a '90 3.1, and runs great. Further, it was the 'common' 'normal' 3.1 liter engine by 1994, and was introduced in '93 in the Cutlass Supremes (I had a friend who had one of these, and there was always an issue getting the right parts for his 3.1 MPFI LH0 vs the SFI L82). I don't know if there were any 'VIN T' 3.1s offered in '94 as a way to get rid of over-stocked engines, this is GM after all, but 'VIN-M' 3100s were the norm.

So, when you say it was the 'first' 'biggest' engine used in the Berettas, no, 1990 had that honor. If you are thinking 'big' for 'most horse power, the Quad-4 H.O. in 1990 introduced 180 H.P., versus your 3100's 160, so don't go there, the Quad guys and girls will slap you down.

I would explain the exclusivity of the 'Beretta Thunder' to the 1994 model year in the following way: No one had invented the dealer or aftermarket add-on decal for the 'Thunder' until 1994, so it couldn't exist prior to that, and by 1995, they realized it was kind of dorky and didn't increase sales at all and so quit sticking them on. :pardon:

Now, please, please, please proof-read before posting, some of this is painful for me to read. :wink:(I ignored grammatical, punctuation, and capitalization errors. :roll: )

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

If you actually want to learn something, stick around. We've been doing this a long time

If you would like to continue to post nonsense as fact, you're welcome to do that anywhere else but here.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
Burning_Beard

Post by Burning_Beard »

Styluss wrote:Um, yeah. DO NOT De-mod your Indy into anything else or this board will chastise you.
Rettax3 wrote: a soon-to-be 'GTU 3.8 Supercharged' (yep, mine)

Yet multiple people here find it completely acceptable to take a GTU and throw a larger motor in it, effectively making it a non GTU by definition.

Don't mind me, I just wanted to contribute to the negativity thread and bathe in some beretta elitism. :evil:

1989 Beretta GTU 2.8 w/77k, auto.
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Burning_Beard wrote:
Styluss wrote:Um, yeah. DO NOT De-mod your Indy into anything else or this board will chastise you.
Rettax3 wrote: a soon-to-be 'GTU 3.8 Supercharged' (yep, mine)
Yet multiple people here find it completely acceptable to take a GTU and throw a larger motor in it, effectively making it a non GTU by definition.
Don't mind me, I just wanted to contribute to the negativity thread and bathe in some beretta elitism. :evil:
:D No problem to me. I built my 3800 conversion so that I can unbuild it and leave virtually no trace behind. Two small holes in the right sub-frame and one ground-wire from the fuel-pump where it terminates under the driver's seat are the extent of permanent mods I did for the engine. I still have the original 2.8 (which needs a little work, but ran when pulled) and the TH125C, which was rebuilt by GM. The other mods I did (A couple of holes in the dash for aftermarket gauges -the dash is toast in those areas anyway- and some cut-outs in the rear of the ground-effects for the exhaust outlets -the GFX where badly cracked at the rear- and holes in the front of the hood for the 'Turbo Coupe' hood-scoops -the hood was dented in the front, covered well by the bra that was on the car) made me cringe, but were well worth it to make the car what I want it to be. :pardon: The holes in the firewall to convert the car to manual, well, that is what the car should have had in the first place... I do want to update the decals when I repaint the car, so they are accurate to what the car is actually equipped with, but I would also want an original set to restore the car with too. So far as the 'GTU' standing of the car, I've never entered it into any races myself. Aside from Ryan, I don't know of any Beretta GTUs (cloned or otherwise... :sorry: ) entered into races where the engine displacement was a concern -I'm sure they've been out there, but... On the other hand, I also have a V-8 Indy, so I am definitely not a purist anyway, and shouldn't be listened to at all. :P

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Staytrue2u89

Post by Staytrue2u89 »

And thank u for your input guys...ive gathered the 94 l82 has 180 horse cuz they started putting roller lifters in starting that year and possibly a hair bigger of a cam?? Not sure but 95 and 96 models have between 160 and 180 with the roller lifter setup...and the pervios gen 3.1 didnt have roller lifters..until 94 when 3 rd gen hit the street.....and your rigght about decal its not a gtu or z26bbut it still is never hardly seen but still put on by sumbody gm related id imagine...and bein 94 the only year makes it rarer than just any regular beretta..mine happens to have 180 hp roller lifter setup...and A thunder sticker on it...lol

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

Damn, where are my boots?

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions