oil filters

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
twistedretta

oil filters

Post by twistedretta »

Just like to c what u guys like to use on Ur cars?

Koots

Re: oil filters

Post by Koots »

I usually use whatever I can find...but my preference run with Napa Gold, which seems to be the most widely available, quality brand you can find.

Otherwise, I stay away from Honeywell/Fram filters, as they have shown disgusting cost cutting measures in their oil filters.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Purolator or the Bosch Distance Plus since that's typically the filter that comes with the synthetic oil change deals at Advance Auto.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
twistedretta

Post by twistedretta »

What's kind of oil do u guys like

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I will rotate between Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Castrol... all synthetic of course.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
twistedretta

Post by twistedretta »

Anyone like that lucus oil stuff

Koots

Post by Koots »

twistedretta wrote:Anyone like that lucus oil stuff
It isn't gonna fix anything, but I've used it with good results in all my engines.

The only quantifiable evidence to support it's protection is cold weather starts in -40* to -60* (-40 is the same celsius and fahrenheit). I used to get a bad lifter tick in my 98 GMC Sierra, which would turn into a bad knock if I stopped using Lucas. It was only at startup but it did get worse the longer I was without an additive.

It also helped my 1.6 D16Y7/Y8 Honda 4cyl, hit VTEC engagement more reliably. This was because the VTEC solenoid would engage with sufficient oil pressure, which made it unreliable when the solenoid was old as was the engine. It only had the quasi-VTEC that only acted on the intake cam, so it was much subtler than the more conventional VTEC Honda engines.

Otherwise, I noticed that all the vehicles I used it on, were noticeably smoother and exhibited less extremes in the NVH department (Noise, Vibration and Harmonics). I would recommend it as a preventative measure, moreso than a bandaid fix, like it's label would have you believe.

Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

Mobil 1 synthetic, it's all I use. In the Beretta and the 4Runner.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
BerettaGTchick

Post by BerettaGTchick »

Styluss wrote:Mobil 1 synthetic, it's all I use..

:good: same here...GTZ is happy with it ;)

~1991 Chevy Beretta GT - 3.1L, automatic :)

Caddy

Post by Caddy »

Mobil 1 in everything I use. Just sold my 1991 Honda civic with 286k miles. If you saw the valve train you wouldn't believe how clean it was valve cover and all. Might even have a pic some where.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Wix, a friend PM'ed me a link to an oil filter test and it's one of the best.

keep'em flying!
BerettaLove32

Post by BerettaLove32 »

I used Mobil 1 when I had the Beretta. Now I use Castrol Full synthetic in my Mustang. Only because that's the only full synthetic the place by me carries and they have the best coupons lol.

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I used to use Mobile 1 but its kinda pricy for my BMW 8 quart oil changes. Now I use whatever is the cheapest synthetic I can find and purolator filters.

I used to put whatever I wanted in the beretta. Walmart supertech was in there for a while until I eventually went to Mobile 1 syn. I would change the supertech often (2-3k miles)

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

I have used Mobil 1 in the Z for all its life after the warranty expired at 36k. The past few years however, I simply buy the special combo deals on synthetic and oil filter at Advance Auto. Even got some Royal Purple once on special. LOL

Oil filters? Most of the time it had always been the Delco tall filter PF52 instead of the PF47. Now I use the same length, but Bosch or whatever is bundled with the specials.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Koots

Post by Koots »

Barry wrote:I used to use Mobile 1 but its kinda pricy for my BMW 8 quart oil changes. (2-3k miles)
I know a guy who runs AMSOIL in his 5.9L Cummins diesel and it takes 12L...Luckily he is the local AMSOIL dealer and gets a discount, but still, that is a lot of money for one oil change.