92 GTZ no motor but CLEAN body

All craigslist, eBay, etc sale threads go here if you ARE NOT the seller
Gtzman

92 GTZ no motor but CLEAN body

Post by Gtzman »

berettaboi

Re: 92 GTZ no motor but CLEAN body

Post by berettaboi »

damn that is clean! well not as clean as he makes it sound... as he points the camera at the front of the rocker panel, which over course you would likely be able to stick a screwdriver through without a fight...

i just drove a friend's newer cavy with the ecotec motor, and i think that might be a good idea!

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

It wasn't for me. I'd take any Quad over an Eco. My car is a dog, if yo go WOT from a stop it's ok. As for anything between it worthless(oh and it's an auto).

keep'em flying!
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

the auto is half the problem... makes my 3100 feel weak from the get go. yeah i would have to look into how the ecotecs are doing on reliability before i would jump into it. i will never again touch a quad though.

Money pit Beretta

Really from what I've hear on both(my car has only 40k) it would end up the same. They both last up to a point and then they have big problems. Eco's are made for boost and without that your better off with Quads power(more all around power at any RPM). The strange thing on the early Eco's is that the PS pump runs off the intake cam. That is not something you want when powering out of a turn. Also the injectors are near max stock and the intake is junk. You can do a 2.4 intake swap with bigger injectors, but HP Tuners doesn't fully support the Cav. It will put out black smoke at idle when the temps go under 50F.
I have had no porblems yet, but at 40k there better not be any. At around 100k that is when the problems kick in. One of the main points that I don't like is that it revs as slow as my 3100(or my old V8's). Guy next to me has a Mazda and thing revs like a bike.
The head is a problem, even ported with stage 2 cams you are lucky to get 155hp at the engine. The crank can take up to 400hp, but getting up to that would net you a used Vette for the same cost.

keep'em flying!
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Quads power steering pumps run off the intake cam too. Oh and, Quads Rule! Eco's drool... ;)

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
speedy

Post by speedy »

i actually drive and own both, a quad gtz, and a base 2.2l ecotec cobalt with a 5 speed transmission, driving the quad is sooo much better then the shitty ecotec engine, they just suck suck suck. they arent fast, and they dont pull for crap, a stock quad can spin 2nd gear and chirp 3rd, a stock ecotec can chirp 2nd, and thats only if you keep it floored between shifts. if anyone wants to disagree with me, come to my place, i'll let you drive both and then we can compare.

only thing keeping me from having this car is a way to get it from there to hear, shipping it costs as much as driving there and back and that dont seem practicle either.

1991 beretta GTZ- 2.3l w41 cams, ported 086 head with a 3 angle valve job, fidanza flywheel with exedy racing clutch, 3.94fdr from and scx, so much more..
Money pit Beretta

scd88ga wrote:Quads power steering pumps run off the intake cam too. Oh and, Quads Rule! Eco's drool... ;)
Oh yeah.... but that's with a belt which I think is better.
Later Eco's had a motor to drive the pump. It would be nice if that could be swapped to a Quad.

My dad has a 2.3 and the GF has a 2.4 Quad(both autos). After driving them many times I can 2nd what Speedy said. Driving a Quad gives me a small amount of pride. Driving an Eco makes me feel just as worthless as it is.

keep'em flying!
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

well not knowing exactly the reliability of the ecotech, (but understanding that it can take a beating from an 18 year old... and feels torquey for a 4 banger... has WAI and cat back anyways...) he is now onto a 3.1 MPFI 89 cavy Z24 he just bought... so i'm happy, and i know they can handle a beating! i also know that the ecotec, being beaten like it was got over 600 km out of a near full tank... (as near all new 4 bangers should)

i drove it 600 km non stop, and didnt need to downshift to pass anyone on the highway.

also, if i had the money, i would GLADLY turbo the ecotec! i'm just saying, quad's were redesigned, and then phased out for a good reason... it is still a great basis for knowledge to get that kind of power out of a 4 banger... but i personally would never again trust one.

havent you been through 2-3 quad cars speedy?

beretta

Post by beretta »

the old school 3.1 will take a beating trust me LOL.. almost 2 years of my abuse on my 88 and near red line every shift, very seldom did i drive it easy and she still fires up and runs perfect

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

berettaboi wrote: i drove it 600 km non stop, and didnt need to downshift to pass anyone on the highway.

I'm just saying, quad's were redesigned, and then phased out for a good reason... it is still a great basis for knowledge to get that kind of power out of a 4 banger... but i personally would never again trust one.
For good reason? What is your good reason? My wonderful Quad 4 H.O powered car makes roughly 200hp at the crank (with mods) and I had 437 miles on my last tank of gas when I filled up. The quad died in 2002, then Oldsmobile died in 2004. Gm has yet to build an engine that can match the quad 4 variants in performance and economy! Oh, and Ecotecs are garbage. :crazy: :runsies: :burn: =@
Last edited by scd88ga on Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

P/S pump off the cam is bad? I feel no difference in steering between 3 third gen cavaliers that I have driven (2.2OHC, 2.4twin cam, Eco)

Quads are cool motors I would defiantly own one if I had the chance

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Oh, and 660 V6 is best

2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

scd88ga? Low fuel light? In your Beretta?

1994 AQUA ZED
scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

2.2H8TA wrote:scd88ga? Low fuel light? In your Beretta?
Sorry, I was thinking about the Supercharged 95 Riviera I was driving, filled both cars up the same day. Riviera has a light, Beretta doesn't. Oops! lol

*Edited OP*