heres the gameplan for my exhaust

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

This is what I have planned for my exhaust:  I have a 3400 and i used the mani's so everything back is going to be custom.  Widen the outlet on the rear manifold to 2 1/2 (I haven't measured it yet but i'm assuming it's 2 1/4 or 2").  I want to use regular crush bends for the gentle angles (to keep cost down) and mandrel bent for the hard angles over the axle.  It's all going to flow through 2 1/2 obviously into a 5.0 cat into a flowmaster 40 or 60 series.  oh and I'll have a flex fitting in there too.

So what are everyones thoughts?  good, bad?  it's not going to be a cheapo midas job but I want it done right.

95 Z26/3400/GETRAG/OBD2 swapped
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

If you are going to do it right, I would do mandrel bent all the way back. A Catco hi-flow universal cat will be perfect (why a 5.0 cat?). I've heard that the Flowmaster mufflers don't sound all that great on our cars, I don't think they flow that well either.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

Ideally mandrel all the way is considered the best way to go, but on the "gentler" bends, crushed is just fine, especially with 2 1/2" pipe. That is plenty big enough.
And it will save you a few $$$.
Another 3400. Must be 20 or so by now, HUH?

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

I'd go for an Ultra-Flo dynomax muffler. I have a small one on my car and it's not that loud at all. I have no in-cabin drone, and only gets loud enough for me to hear it when I floor it.

With your larger pipe and high flow cat it will sound nice and deep and rumbly. It's straight through best for performance.

Flowmasters can sound too raspy on our cars sometimes.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
daguse5853z

Post by daguse5853z »

see I don't have the cash to do mandrel the whole way.  i actually don't have cash to do it mandrel at all.  i went to this garage a few miles from my place and had them make do my exhaust from the manifold back.  I didn't get a cat put on because I'm still looking for a good one.  It doesn't have to be a 5.0 geoff but a V8 in general.  it's just some stuff a few people had brought up.  I haven't looked into catco cats yet.  

Anyways right now its supposed to be 2 1/2" all the way into a flowmaster 40.  I had them put the flex tube in so I won't have to do any exhaust work (hopefully) when i do my 5 speed.  And like I said earlier the cat is pending.  I also told them to open the mani up to match the tubing.  I haven't seen it or drove it yet (its about 80 miles away at my 'rents house).  thanks for the input

95 Z26/3400/GETRAG/OBD2 swapped