Fart cans? Why?

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Guest »

This is just a question so dont get too offended by it but, why in the heck does everybody keep slapping theese HONDA mufflers on a freakin' CHEVY? Theese cars were made in the United States and were thought to be kept thet way... Dont get me wrong you can do whatever you want it is your car but, WHY??? Dont those big a$$ fart cans actually restrict some air flow anyways??? It is just a simple question so all I ask is a simple answer from anybody.. I dont want to have a 17 page debate because quite frankly, I could do that at home with the wife.. maybe your answer will change my views after all, I am still trying to be open minded about this...

gar187er

Fart cans? Why?

Post by gar187er »

we arent offened cause most people on here dont put them on our cars...and just so you know, all mufflers restrict airflow....they buy them cause of the tone they give off....and cause they are shiney....most normal mufflers when made of SS or similar become very expensive...but the canisters mufflers arent made well, or designed as well in most cases and thus therefore are relatively cheap...

--Ryan--

Mind If I use your Internet connection?? I don't like paying...Thank You!!!
gtuturbo

Fart cans? Why?

Post by gtuturbo »

Because they are cool! You can't be cool unless you have a fart can muffler!

One day I'll have one too...

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1
brilamb2

Fart cans? Why?

Post by brilamb2 »

i had one just for the fact that it was "tunable" in other the silencer was removable, and a race muffler that you could open up cost about $125, while the APC muffler i bught cost $40 new from  summit.  and as for restricting the air flow, opn;y a little when the silencer was in. when it was out, the thing wsa wide open 4" after the pipe, with some fiberglas packing inside the perforated casing, and it wasnt even polished, just plain stainless steel to fight corrosion.  Main reason I took it off was one day driving down the main strip, the silencer lost the bolt that holds it in, and a semi ran it over, making it extremely loud al the time, police dont like that around here!!!!

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Guest »

Cool I was just wondering... All I have right now is a cat. No muff and no resonator, I like the way it sounds but I need a muffler out here. I thought about buying one of those cheap stainless cans off of ebay and that was when this question poped in my head.. I just thought I would throw it out there... any ideas on a cheap muffler that still sounds good and will keep the rumble???

backwoodzberetta

Fart cans? Why?

Post by backwoodzberetta »

Dynomax race bullet.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ta&pl=true

Don't mind the noisy ac compressor bearing at the beginning.

-Nick

This car has 223,000 miles on it and gets 37 mpg highway.

RIP  In it's last stages of life.
badbluballinGTX

Fart cans? Why?

Post by badbluballinGTX »

The thing about these fart cans is that the engine that you put it on, diameter of the muffler and the rest of the exhaust system is what is important. Most of these are straight through designs so they are going to be loud. If you put one on an otherwise stock exhaust V6, it will be deep but not offensive. If you put one on a 1.6L Honda engine, especially if the muffler is a 3" pipe, and then add a header and no cat, it will sound like crap. I have had a few of these fart can type mufflers with good results. No headers of course, but i have had basically manifolds, no cat and 2" pipe, and it always sounded deep and nice, but never like a lawnmower. The only thing that doesn't last about them is that they won't keep their luster but still don't look bad, just not show car quality. Anyways, I hope this helps somebody. To sum it up, small engine=small pipe, larger engine/V6=larger pipe

1994 Z26

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Guest »

cool... that makes a lot of sense, I never really thought about how to change the tone of the muffler... would those things still keep a low tone I guess "wet" rumble type sound on a 3100 with no resonator?

Jimz90indy

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Jimz90indy »

(bereta1 @ Apr. 13 2006,23:56)Q
U
O
T
EBecause they are cool! You can't be cool unless you have a fart can muffler!

One day I'll have one too...
Hopefully you'll be running a Magnaflow fart can on that fine looking GTU!  

"Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. "

IsaacHayes

Fart cans? Why?

Post by IsaacHayes »

If you got a V6 it won't sound like a 2cyl weed-eater even if the muffler was meant for rice.

I have no resonator on my 3100, and a dynomax ultraflo SS. The sound was different on it before I put a tailpipe on the end of the muffler. The sound was backwards from what it is now. It was deep at idle and just drone. Quite above 2k. Now it has rumble and is louder as the rpms go up.

I still want my exhaust louder. What can I do, besides gut the cat? Go with a shorter muffler? (this one is only like 14")... or larger pipe?... Probably the cat would be easiest, but I'd want to put a straight through pipe inside it, because the turbulance would kill a lot of HP. I gained a suprising amount when I got rid of the resonator...

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Guest »

If you want it louder than that just go straight pipes with a big  truck stainless tip on the arse and it will be loud as heck...

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Guest »

hey another texas memeber    yay ya im not one for the fart cans my friend has one on his car, and when he gets to redline it sounds like its very restrictive. i raced him and i beat him with my 4 banger beretta . i got another friend with a 3100 v6 i keep telling him he needs to step up and upgrade, but he says he needs the summer and all to do anything.

Brandon

JeffD

Fart cans? Why?

Post by JeffD »

I've got a Thrush turbo muffler ($20!). i shot the cat, and slapped that on the end, i only had to make a longer tip for the end, but the whole project only took four hours to put in.
its not the quietest muffler but it keeps the cops after the other guys. plus it's got a kind of muscular vibe at idle, as you rev it sounds even better!
to preserve it i painted with high heat ceramic paint.

1988 Beretta GT 5 speed - 1st car... Gone to the crusher. :(
1989 Beretta GT Z-51
1994 Beretta Z26 getting FE7+Z51 goodies
1987 Pontiac Bonneville LG3+4T65-E
1987 Chevrolet Celebrity Wagon L36+4T65-E
1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7L L31+ built 4L60-E

Fart cans? Why?

Post by Guest »

The "fart cans" I don't understand and don't wish to... pointless to me...

I actually think my lawnmower and chainsaw sound better but it is whatever you are into I guess...

Anyways I got a Flowmaster on my beretta sounds so sweet gives her a lil more "chevy" rumble! There are different types of FM's some more sound  some more performance... I think I paid $80 for mine but I also got the one with one inlet and two outlets at opposite ends!But you can get one for like $50....

MAJ28

Fart cans? Why?

Post by MAJ28 »

Most young people that buy fart cans don't buy them because they like them, they buy them to fit in - it's that simple.  Just trying to fit in to some street racer, I'm-badass persona.  You wanna fit in with the highschool civic drivers, get a wing and a fart-can, you'll be as cool as can be. ÂÂÂ

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚