I need new rubbers... Any suggestions?

Have a favorite combination? Need new tires? What size wheels fit a Beretta? Ask here...
3X00-Modified
Administrator

I need new rubbers... Any suggestions?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah as title states... I need tires for the 96... I had Falken FK-452's on there and they were nice.. Had them since beginning of 09 I think.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Styluss
Global Moderator

Re: I need new rubbers... Any suggestions?

Post by Styluss »

I like the Barum Bravarius tires I had. Bought two sets. Whatever I'm on now is nice too... I'll check.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

They don't have those in 225/45/17... Plus I'd rather stick with what Tire Rack offers. I've never heard of Barum Bravarius...

I'm Eying these...
Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

What are you looking for in a tire?

That would help narrow some choices down.

Personally I prefer summer only tires since I don't drive in the winter months. Currently running Dunlop Direzza ZII's and love them. The last set I had of the previous version (Star Spec Z1) on my 17's lasted 4 years with worn struts/shocks... and that was with a few autox's, 2 BFest's (10-11), and other trips locally.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes same as you, I'm looking for a good summer only tire obviously... And something that will still perform well as well as ride good. I got the Falken's because they were stated to be very quite on the road and they were.... they also had very good specs to go with that.

I'd like to keep it to a reasonable price as well... no more than $140 a tire.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GTZfan

Post by GTZfan »

I have Dunlop SportMaxx on my Quaser. Stick well but they wear out rather quickly.

1991 GTZ Quad4 black, all original, low miles. Beretta Calendar 2008, 2009, 2015
1992 GTZ Quad4 quaser, completely restored. Beretta Calendar 2011, 2012, 2013 images of the shiny quaser
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Falken's were a 300 treadwear rating the Bridgstones are 280, the Dunlops you speak of are 240, I got quite a few years on the Falken's because I don't do a ton of miles.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I have run-flat Michelin primacy's on my retta now (which your going to hate Jon), i bought them because they were on sale for $110 at a local shop, and i can say i will never buy a hard run-flat tire again, they are so damn stiff you could literally stand on the tread with no rim inside and they would not collapse, i could not stop wheel spin/hop flooring it under 30mph, although in the one instance i got stuck in the rain they did perform well, after these are worn away i will be going with a softer and cheaper tire which wont cost me much to burn off and will get a better grip from a stop on the pavement..

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Cooper tires would be something to look into or michelin tires. The michelins might be best for wear but coopers always were most comfy riders. I'm interested in a tire that is summer or all season that'll last a long time but be smooth/quiet. Performance isn't on my top pick. No street tire that I can locally obtain will improve grip.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Another one I was looking at was the

Continental Extreme contact DW

I have the DWS's on my legacy and I plan to buy them again since they were really good and lasted almost 70k on that car. IIRC I put them on when I was around 110k or 105k on that car and I'm at 168k now. They were a 540 treadwear vs the DW which is 340... So I can expect a less duration on that tire.

Anything that is in stock at Tire Rack CT I can buy today and I'll pickup tomorrow while I'm out that way.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Red_Bra_Black_GTZ

Post by Red_Bra_Black_GTZ »

i have always used the high end summer dunlops. currently on my 3rd set. well worth the price. the traction in a corner is unbelieveable.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Well, I'm going to try the bridgestones... I just put a set of Potenza RE970AS tires on the inlaws mustang and that ended up nice and quite and ran smooth so I'll give this summer only version a try.

They are rated at the quietest over everything you guys have suggested and still very aggressive in the handling area as well. And honestly with the driving I do with this car I like it to be quite, that is more important than autox stickiness...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Let me know how they are in heavy water and also in rain conditions with 60+MPH speeds. I had some bridges that were quiet, nice for smoothness, and had decent tread wear but they sucked in for moderate rain and were kinda dangerous in even lite rain when in a merge/curve situation.

_________
-------------
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Jon- I totally agree with your opinion on the DWS, they're the best all-season tire I've had in the winter, although the Saab is getting some Pirelli Sottozero Winter tires for next winter season.

As for summer tires, I've had good experience with my Goodyear Eagle F1s on my GT. They're the old version, but I'd be willing to give the new version a try.. We put some Bridgestone Potenza RE760Sport on my mom's Nissan (cube) and they seem to be fairly good. I think you notice the difference more in a stock economy car with a soft suspension more. This is one of the tires that are available in the size for my C5, so I'd be inclined to replace the current Firestones with them. The only plus side to the firestones is that they're relatively cheap for that car compared to most.

Cliff Scott
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Ended up with nitto's. Hope they ship in today so I can mount them before the rain hits.... gotta test them out :wink:

_________
-------------