1996 Z26 lost power

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: 1996 Z26 lost power

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The LIMG is pretty easy with how far in you are already... Just pull the valve covers and loosen the rockers and pull out the pushrods, Keep them in order they are specific to location... Then 8-10 bolts on the Lower and it's out. Best gasket set for a daily car is the Felpro Metal/rubber set, aka PermaDryPlus. Part# MS98004T

You said you did the temp sensor near the thermostat and the breaker... Did you swap the relay? or is that what you meat by breaker?

You can check the fan wiring by simply turning on the AC if it works... With a charged system the fan should come on when in use. If the AC isn't working then it wont kick the fan on when enabled.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rettax3

Re: 1996 Z26 lost power

Post by Rettax3 »

3X00-Modified wrote:The LIMG is pretty easy with how far in you are already... Just pull the valve covers and loosen the rockers and pull out the pushrods, Keep them in order they are specific to location... Then 8-10 bolts on the Lower and it's out. Best gasket set for a daily car is the Felpro Metal/rubber set, aka PermaDryPlus. Part# MS98004T
X2. I hate wasting space by just agreeing, but Jon is absolutely right here, and the cheaper Fel-Pro set that is just plastic and silicon is just that... Cheap. Don't bother to replace poorly engineered cheap junk with poorly engineered cheap junk -that was one of the worst things I've ever seen GM do to us, aside from destroying the EV-1... But I won't go into that here. I think you'll also need to pull the power-steering pump in this process, but a 10mm deep-well socket (or a regular socket with a short extension) will easily slip through the holes in the pulley and pull the three bolts holding it on, and give you plenty of room to work on it. Just be careful NOT to let the CMPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) wires get caught under the intake when dropping it back on -they always seem to want to twist under the lower manifold for me. Your best bet for the gasket set is Rock Auto, much cheaper than the local parts stores. I actually tested a Dorman set built the same way with metal and rubber, and it looked every bit as good as the Fel-Pro set, I just don't know if they are as consistent as Fel-Pro in quality. I tested the wide-mouth 3100 'J' code in my '01 Grand Prix before I sold it, and it worked great. The Dorman part number for your car is 615206, and costs just under $40, before shipping. It is possible that you have blown-out a head gasket, but it is just so very likely that a LIMG (Lower Intake Manifold Gasket) went bad that I would bet on it if it were my car. Good luck!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26