3500 fuel issues

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Berettas#1

3500 fuel issues

Post by Berettas#1 »

So I am having issues with my 3500 car, I have no pressure to the fuel rails at all while cranking. The fuel pump does not kick on either, so I pulled the pump and checked it and it works fine out of the car.

So I guess my question is, does anyone else have an idea of what else it could be? The fuel pump fuse inside the car is good too. I was thinking about just wiring it to a switch to be able to turn it on and off myself would I have any issues with that?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

1995 Z26 auto 3100 spfi (sold)
1989 GT 5 speed 2.8 mpfi (crushed)
1993 GT 5 speed 3.1 mpfi (dd)
1988 GTU 5 speed 3500
1996 Base/Z26 hybrid 3400-3500 turbo 5 speed

Barry
Global Moderator

Re: 3500 fuel issues

Post by Barry »

What ecu are you running?

In stock form the ecu grounds the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds each time the key is turned to run. This is to prime/pressurize the rail. The fuel pump is on constantly during cranking, and also in run when rpms are > 0.

So you could use a switch if you wanted too. Letting the pump run while the car is off shouldnt hurt it much, just some extra wear and tear.

I would just fix the stock system. Make sure the wires from the fuel pump relay to the pump are good. There is usually a fuel pump test wire hanging near the driver side shocktower. Power that up and see if the pump works. If that works then look at the relay and make sure the computer is triggering it on ground.