CLUTCH ISSUES? Please help!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: CLUTCH ISSUES? Please help!

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Sometimes though a used fork over a cheaper replica part might be a better idea... I'm not familiar with how good the quality is on the replacements but some are just not up to par.

And there is a funny thing about LUK clutches, I've noticed this when buying parts for my Subaru with the Daikin/Exedy clutches those use, but I pulled this little snippet from a vette forum about the brands.
Luk and Exedy (Daikin) are all OEM clutch manufacturer.

Exedy (Daikin) -manufactures almost all Japanese cars and some Domestic.
Luk - manufactures European and some domestic(not 100% sure).

Now for the 2 comapanies, in order to complete thier line(applications for diffrent cars).

Luk buys pcs(parts) from Exedy, while Exedy buys pcs (parts) from Luk.

It will be "reboxed" from the company's own box and call it thier own.

I could be wrong but the OEM clutch for camaro's are made by Luk.

But if you buy an Exedy hyper single or multi plate, those are manufactured
by Exedy.
If you buy an OEM Clutch from Exedy that might be a Luk product reboxed by
Exedy.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

All great info thanks guys.

Im going with the Luk clutch since hes providing and if it goes wrong he wont charge extra to disassemble everything again.

Here are the carnage pics. He is asking if i want to replace the axle seals for $50.

So should i go with a stock fork or rock auto's fork?

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Holy crap! I just checked rock auto and see the fork is available. I paid like $160 for mine from the dealer because I couldn't get one anywhere else. They must be a new replacement.

On all the used 282s I have (which is several) the fork has been worn. I would go new rather than reusing one.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

And if you can afford it, do the axle seals.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

He told me he can get it new. But its 50 plus 25 to install. So i told him i would just get it from rock auto since its cheaper. He threatened that i would have to pay for them storing my car while i wait for the part. I laughed and said wow. I knew this sounded to good to be true.

Mechanics are all full of crap. I should have just done this myself.

He tried to give me a whole speell about if i provide the fork and it does not work i would have to pay him again to disassemble it and do it again.

So i said "i guess i have no choice but to get the part from u....just get it done."

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Yeah, just wow. What a jerk. I'm tired of places like that giving decent mechanics a bad name. Granted, you are getting a really good deal on the labor for the clutch, but if he is nickel-and-diming you to death on everything else, then it isn't a good deal anymore. And having to take that kind of "thanks for the business, now do it our way or else" attitude on top of that?.. Wow. I'm sure they'll get a lot more business that way. :roll: At least your car will be done faster -I think that by the time you paid for express shipping from Rock Auto, you aren't losing much money buying it from him honestly. It is just the attitude that is objectionable...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

^exactly!

And i told him my fathers backup vehicle will need some clutch work soon. All before i knew about his attitude towards customers. So I know now not to go back to this place. Nickel and dime is there game obvisiously.

Back when he said he would get it used i asked if he can get it new. He said the company cleans it up and makes it look new. LOL....so for all i know now this "new clutch forK" might be used.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

He's covering his ass, which is smart business. And considering the amount of junk I've gotten from RockAuto in the past, I would probably do the same.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

I picked up the car after work.

Tranny mount bolt was missing the nut.

Tranny fluid drain plug missing gasket.

Knock sensor broken.

Clutch really soft due to low oil

Now low on fluid due to leak.

A few bolts loose.

Fendors full of grease and oil

First gear hard to find.

2nd gear hard to find

Bad customer service. Forced me out the place because they had to close. I told them i wanted to find what else they messed up on or was missing. They tried to close the doors if i didnt pay.

How do i adjust the clutch, feels like its not fully engaging allowing me to enter 1st and 2nd.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

If they replaced anything in the hydraulics they probably need to be bled. I would also check shift cable alignment and make sure the select is not getting hung up.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Asylum

Post by Asylum »

So you have a leak and it needs to be bled.

WOW, that is some POS mechanic!

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

I had to buy a quart of pennzoil sycromesh and now the clutch feels better. 1st still is hard to get it. If i go to 2nd first then 1st then it goes right in.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

That sounds like a synchronizer issue... It could also be hard going into gear if the clutch isn't fully disengaging due to low hydraulic fluid, or something else wrong. On some or maybe all of the Muncies, the 'arm' that the slave-cylinder pushes on actually bolts onto the clutch-fork shaft, which has a splined section at the top. It is possible that they just didn't put the 'arm' onto the clutch-fork correctly, so it is one or two or three grooves off from where it should have been... On the older Muncies, like '89 and older mostly, that arm is on the outside of the transmission, so it is adjustable without removing the tranny from the car, which is a big plus to me. If that is the problem you have, they screwed you bad, because about the only way you can fix it without pulling the tranny again is to find or build a longer push-rod from the slave cylinder to the 'arm', and it may not sit in the pocket in the end of the 'arm' correctly -you would probably be okay with it, since it doesn't sound like it could be out of adjustment by much, but it is still wrong, and that isn't what you are supposed to get from a 'professional' shop... :no:
DOHC_tuner wrote:He tried to give me a whole speell about if i provide the fork and it does not work i would have to pay him again to disassemble it and do it again.
So, since you did buy that part from him, you don't have to pay him again to disassemble it and do it again to fix the mis-adjustment, right? :roll: Or should I say, 'yeah, right' to convey the sarcasm. I'm sure that A.) you will trust your car with him again, and B.) he will honor any kind of warranty he implied. Again, I just hate shops like that...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
DOHC_tuner

Post by DOHC_tuner »

Yea ive been told on here i could have a synchronize issue with my reverse since it grinded hard to get in reverse. Someone on here told me to go in 5th first then reverse. And I've been doing that ever since....but for 1st gear this sucks.... having to go into 2nd then 1st.

Yea honestly i dont want to take it back to them.

Hydraulic fluid goes where?

Im taking the day off today so i can fix all the little things they did wrong.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Reverse does not have a synchro is these trans. And I would bleed the hydraulics and check the select cable before disassembling.

There should be a reservoir by the shock tower for the clutch master. Fill it with brake fluid to the line and bleed it. Unhook the clutch pedal rod, then remove the slave from the bellhousing and pump the rod until you get no more bubbles at the reservoir.

Check the alignment of the shift cables to the arms on the trans. It should be a straight shot from the cable hold-down bracket.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube