To rebuild or not to rebuild? Thats the dilemma!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
1988GTU

Re: To rebuild or not to rebuild? Thats the dilemma!

Post by 1988GTU »

I was searching via phone and was relying on summits search feature
LoL

I suggest contacting them direct such as call or email and they typically help you find you parts even if its not selling you out of there inventory

_________
-------------
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

i was like " :deadhorse: what? how did i miss those kits" then i saw V8. or is it possible to cut my new cam?/sarcasm :lol:

anyways i found this kits also on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271309805154?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

maybe you have time to check it out..

1988 Beretta GT 2.8L V6 - Yeah my Retta is a year older than me! :)
Work in Progress
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Well that sucks, I'd bet you do know more about your car than those lazy guys.
Sounds like if I kept up my schooling I could have moved down there and made some money!

keep'em flying!
zcylex

To rebuild or not to rebuild? Thats the dilemma!

Post by zcylex »

You can come here on vacations but i doubt you would like to live here or even work here (basic monthly salary is ~330$) so yeah i must know a thing or two more than those guys haha i instructed my self on taking engines out and all ive learned in the past month. So i guess its time to start learning how to rebuild it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Work in Progress
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

alright so i have somewhat laid out a plan of what im going to do..!

im not rebuilding the whole engine because the process its not done correctly here(went to a few people who do engine rebuilds) they sand the heads by hand or with a polishing machine, which is a no go for me. there is people who machine things but they hone without measuring and then make you buy pistons and rings that FIT in what they did. they take like 0 precautions, no such thing as jet washers i gotta take the block already clean cause they dont wash things (wtf).

my plan is this:
change cam with either one of these
Chevy 173-207 60° High Energy 240H Cam & Kit
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... =K16-115-4
with these > Rocker Arm Kits; Chevy (V6 173 60°) 1.52 Magnum Rockers & High Energy Pushrods™ http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... =RP1413-12

OR

Chevy 173-207 60° High Energy 252H Cam & Kit
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... =K16-232-4

im hoping i can get some help with choosing whats right for me, i think the first one as it states its good for stock engine rebuild. i could also go with those 1.6 ratio rockers.

i am also replacing all gaskets in the engine (as everything that could leak....leaks LOL)
i am going to look into getting another oil pump. maybe ebay can help me with that.

on another note if i where to replace the engine, which one would you recommend? and where to get it?

thanks in advance..

Work in Progress
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Be aware those rockers are for Iron head motors not aluminum head, so you need to swap out the studs for adjustable rocker studs otherwise the stock ones will not tighten down properly.

Don't get the kit with the push rods either, they are completely the wrong length.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

3x00 would you recommend just going with the cam kit and leaving the stock rockers?

Work in Progress
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

DO NOT OVERLOOK the STAMPED 1.6 Ratio rockers found in STOCK GM vehicles.
No requirement in setting lash and its a simple CHEAP upgrade.

Breath is now lost.

_________
-------------
zcylex

Post by zcylex »

88GTU im not overlooking anything, im trying to get the best to make the most out of my 2.8 since replacing it is out of the question.

i am planning on replacing the rockers but i cant seem to find those stamped rockers with 1.6 ratio on compcams though it would be easier buying everything from them but it seems its not posible, and if i choose to use those magnum rockers they sell i would have to find the studs that would fit, like 3x00 said.

so basically heres my questions:
what can i buy to make my engine better, more efficient. im looking to turn my retta into my DD so i need somewhat a stock rebuild with better performance i know im asking imposible things by asking for performance and fuel economy so what im looking for is the best combination of parts to leave the car in top condition.

on a side note i want to get rid of all heating part of my AC on the engine side cause with my temps here i do not need it, mechanics here unplugged most hoses and just covered them, is there anything else i should to remove it completely from my engine? i read somewhere about removing it from my TB cause theres 2 hoses going in there but i dont want mess things up more than they are lol

thanks in advance, and thanks for your patience

Work in Progress
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

It will be a factory production rocker, not made thru Comp. So look for replacement rockers from aftermarket brands that offer stock parts for those with GM select reproduction parts (IE: Melling) .
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-mr-932

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Any rocker that fits a 1994-1995 3100 SFI engine will fit the 2.8 and 3.1L MPFI and that will be 1.6 ratio. Works with stock push rods and rocker studs/nuts.

ONLY loss is the fact that it's the same style rocker, not roller tip, but honestly I think the HP difference your going to gain more per dollar simply going to 1.6 ratio than getting the roller tips then having to buy studs and possibly custom length pushrods as well.

Check on ebay for old rockers from any 94-95 3100... they will probably be cheaper than buying new.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Not all 94-95 had it but its a good chance to use that as a year specification.

The valve lashing and then guide fitting for roller tip rockers wasn't fun. But the stud replacement iirc was a pita. Also one or 2 rocker nuts was just not fun at all. Had to manipulate a tool to finish the install.

Lastly, the roller tips made a little more noise over stamped within the valve train. Just enough noise to be heard over the faint static lope increase.

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

all 94-95 3100's had the stamped 1.6 ratio rockers... it was 96 that was hit or miss depending on when the engine was built. They could have the roller fulcrum rocker that requires the pedestal that the 3.1MPFI heads can't accept.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

I've ran into a few 95 GP's with the non stamped rockers. Late year production, but still 95

_________
-------------
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

3X00-Modified wrote:all 94-95 3100's had the stamped 1.6 ratio rockers... it was 96 that was hit or miss depending on when the engine was built. They could have the roller fulcrum rocker that requires the pedestal that the 3.1MPFI heads can't accept.
They CAN accept them with a little modification, but no, they are not bolt-and-go... These are from a '99 GAGT LA1 'VIN-E' 3400, and are in the 3.1 MPFI heads on my '90 turbo 'Retta.
06-29-09_1539.jpg
They work great -I just don't recall which push-rods I had to use for them. I probably get 1-2 HP over the stamped pivot-ball rockers, but it is 1-2 HP for free.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26