Need to replace my ECM

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
jackattack193

Need to replace my ECM

Post by jackattack193 »

Looks like I need to replace the ECM in my car. My thought is, I just swap the old mem-cal (chip) from the old ECM into the new one…..right??

The shop where I took my car for the original issues says that they need to “flash” my mem-cal on their computer, using my vin to do so – a process that takes about 4hrs.

I did have to change the ECM about 15 years ago, and I really can’t recall going through this process, but maybe it was done this way back then too.

Does this sound right? BTW, I’m being quoted $99 for the ECM and $30-40 for the “flash” job as they call it.

Any thoughts please...

1988GTU

Re: Need to replace my ECM

Post by 1988GTU »

what year beretta?

_________
-------------
jackattack193

Post by jackattack193 »

It's an '89

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

swap the ECU and slap in a memcal (prefer year matching) with matching car powertrain options (Engine, trans, MAP non MAF equipped) .

_________
-------------
jackattack193

Post by jackattack193 »

Thanks for responding, but my questions are about the process of re-using my existing chip.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Same logic applies. Use your old memcal in a newer ECU. ECU will need to have correct service # for proper usability of the memcal factory information.

_________
-------------
88corsica5spd28

Post by 88corsica5spd28 »

The ECM doesn't contain the VIN. No flashing is required, and if it was it wouldn't take 4 hours.

jackattack193

Post by jackattack193 »

Thanks to both of you - I'm wondering where they're going with this "flash" thing - maybe just my wallet :)

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

jackattack193 wrote:Thanks to both of you - I'm wondering where they're going with this "flash" thing - maybe just my wallet :)
I hate to judge, but by what they are tellin you, it seems they are not sure of the repair and are just tossing all 'possibilities' at it

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

1988GTU wrote:
jackattack193 wrote:Thanks to both of you - I'm wondering where they're going with this "flash" thing - maybe just my wallet :)
I hate to judge, but by what they are tellin you, it seems they are not sure of the repair and are just tossing all 'possibilities' at it
Typically the case when you bring an older car to a shop with newer employees who just don't know what they are working with.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
jackattack193

Post by jackattack193 »

There was actually a lot done prior to me wanting to know about the ECM issue – and I appreciate the heads up about the shops credibility.

The issue with the car is that it after it gets hot it stalls out, and won’t restart until it cools down. Did a diagnostic check which came up completely empty, then exhausted the possibilities of fuel pump, sending unit, fuel, spark, injectors, fuses, vacuum lines and air for the cause. The only other thing worth mentioning was that when the car was running, you could tap on the ECM with your fingers and the car shut down. ECM connections were intact.

With that said, I figured I’m down to the ECM, ICM, or coil pack. It was my thought to start with the ECM. A similar thing was happening when this was my daily driver about 15yrs ago. Back then, the culprit was the ECM. So, I’m starting there.

I’m thinking I’ve covered everything that I could, but if you think I missed something I’m open to suggestions.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

If its an auto, unplug the TCC. Drive it and post back the results.
Square Connector:

_________
-------------
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

If that doesn't work then you should check the crank position sensor that's in the back of the block.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
jackattack193

Post by jackattack193 »

I actually did have to change the TCC way back when. This issue is different than what it was doing when the TCC was the issue. IIRC the TCC was causing it to stall as I was slowing down for a red light/stop sign, that's why I dismissed it as the problem here, but I will look into this again. Will also look into the crank position sensor - what exactly would the car do if it's the crank sensor - would you start there if it's not a TCC issue?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes I would start there if you've already done the TCC... When the sensors get hot they expand and crack and will break connection to the ICM and it will receive no spark signal so it doesn't know when to fire the plugs. Typically it will require removing the oil pan to get the old sensor out but it's not that bad to do.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"