Intermittent clutch dragging?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
88corsica5spd28

Intermittent clutch dragging?

Post by 88corsica5spd28 »

Seems like on a cold start my clutch drags. It will be difficult (impossible without the car rolling or turning off the engine) to get out of reverse. I have to shut the engine off to get in first. It only does it until i shut off the engine. After that one time it's fine. Sometimes it will do it again the next day and sometimes it won't.

Beretta1234567

Re: Intermittent clutch dragging?

Post by Beretta1234567 »

88corsica5spd28 wrote:Seems like on a cold start my clutch drags. It will be difficult (impossible without the car rolling or turning off the engine) to get out of reverse. I have to shut the engine off to get in first. It only does it until i shut off the engine. After that one time it's fine. Sometimes it will do it again the next day and sometimes it won't.
My 88 Beretta, the clutch only disengaged when it was at the floor, and it did drag a little, but never did it make shifting hard.

But I had 2 problems at once, actually 3.

The slave cylinder was sometimes letting air in.
I had air in the lines.
And the master cylinder was not pumping fluid properly.

I gave up trying to fiddle with it and replaced the entire clutch setup and got all the air out, works like a charm. (new clutch and everything as well)
I also bought the adjustable master cylinder and set the clutch at the exact correct spot for full open and full closed with a slightly offset and easy disengagement/engagement.

Also, If you want to check if the clutch is dragging, what if you lifted the front of the car up, then placed it in gear to see if the wheels spin when holding the clutch in?
That would work, right?

88corsica5spd28

Post by 88corsica5spd28 »

If it did it all the time that would work like a charm. Problem is, it does it at random. I think the throw out bearing is sticking but I'm not 100%. But replacing everything in the clutch system would fix it, like you say.

I just want to know what it is for sure in case i come across this problem again.

Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

I think the problem with those older V6 clutch release issues is that the bracket that the slave cylinder attaches to is flexing. I had two of them and they both did it, even with new hydraulics. I have no issues with the newer setup.

Cliff Scott