88 2.8 idle loup

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Vampcrist

88 2.8 idle loup

Post by Vampcrist »

Well here we are again. So, after I found some grounded wires, I got it running with a set of new injectors. Everything was replaced ran good for, eh, two days maybe three. Not sure what where or when but it started to catch on startup at high idle( usually 2200 to 3000max) for maybe five seconds and would drop down to normal run temp at startup idle. Now at normal operating temp it loups. Checked the normal thing with air noticed I cracked the air line to the fuel vapor can so I spliced in a new hose over the two hard lines, no change. So I figured maybe it was the IAC they are cheep now so I just changed it out thought I had it as it idled for 20 minutes without problems. Nope still the same after driving for a minute. Now its running lean as all get out, smells like gas as it runs at idle. So I checked the TPS gave it vaccum the EGR and TPS both reacted advancing and opening as they should. Then I disconnected the MAF knowing that it would throw the code and still continue to run fine and it kept having the same issue. So today thinking one more thing could be left in that area I tested fuel pressure regulator reads 36 to 38psi and 42psi on high rev like it always has. So in a recap fuel smell in exhaust, loop at idle, and running and driving distances without problem. Gas milage is in the gutter also probably around 13mpg. Last thing I can think of is it loads up sometimes when I'm in town in third gear at around 30mph, basically I'll be at 30 and there is a small hill that I usually have to put my foot down a little harder and it somewhat stalls out and then goes just fine. I have never noticed that at speeds greater then about 45. Any ideas will be nice. Reading it just makes me think that damned TPS but as we all know with our Berettas our wife isn't usually to thrilled when you say "Hey babe I want to get this part for my car it could fix it a bit" Good new year to you all.

ronaconda

Re: 88 2.8 idle loup

Post by ronaconda »

FPR. I had some of the same issues you're having and the fuel pressure regulator was the culprit.

Have you done anything with the o2 sensor???

Vampcrist

Post by Vampcrist »

Yeah, it is a Bosch that was in it that I put in a couple years ago. I have changed it out again just to make sure it wasn't that. Did the regulator act normal when you put a fuel pressure tester to the rail?

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Preventative maintenance action, replace the PCV in rear rocker-arm cover. Plan on replacing its hose as well.

Does your Beretta have cruise control? Does it work?

_________
-------------
Vampcrist

Post by Vampcrist »

It has cruse and it is working. How hard is that to get to since I don't think I have ever noticed it.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Easy peasy. Emissions parts supported by most "Help!" Sections at your big box brick and mortar stores.

_________
-------------
Vampcrist

Post by Vampcrist »

Yeah it's like four bucks I'll slap one in tomorrow and let you all know!

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

You'll have to remove the upper intake to replace the hose that often degrades...

_________
-------------
ronaconda

Post by ronaconda »

FPR acted normal as far as pressures were concerned.

Good luck with the PCV valve.

Vampcrist

Post by Vampcrist »

I just had the plenum off to check those air hoses and make sure it was sealed

Vampcrist

Post by Vampcrist »

PCV is fine replaced the plugs since it had been a bit seemed fine but still the loop. Did some vacuum advancing and everything seems to act normal. Any other ideas I am really hesitate to put in the fuel pressure regulator. Also a thought what would it run like with 3.1 injectors in it without the programing for it. Just was thinking maybe I got shipped the wrong ones.

1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

Having all injectors the same and in working order from a 2.8 or 3.1 (not 3100) wouldn't make for a huge difference.
You'd want to ensure that the injectors are good. As of late, new injectors are arriving to folks that are bad outta the package.

_________
-------------