Shifter linkage

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
AndyHardison93

Shifter linkage

Post by AndyHardison93 »

Hello everyone. My name is Andy. I have a 1989 Chevy Beretta base model 2.8L V6. Today my shifter let go while tring to shift from reverse to drive. The actual floor shifter slides freely. I can look done into the console but can't exactly see the problem. What I'm wondering is how is the actual floor shifter connects to the shifter linkage. Maybe just a plastic or metal clip but I can't find a break down diagram or anything. Also everyone at the part stores and GM dealerships act like they don't know what I'm talking about. If anyone can shed some light on this or can find a break down diagram it would be very much appreciated. Thank you :)

Stencil
Administrator

Re: Shifter linkage

Post by Stencil »

Andy,

The shift cables connect on the transmission side and the shifter side. They bolt on the trans end and slip on on the shifter end. You'll need to take apart the shifter assembly to see if you broke a cable or the shifter broke. (they won't just come off unless they are broken).

-Aaron
'92 Beretta GTZ 2.3L 5M - Undergoing "unibody off" restoration ATM (almost done!)
'93 Beretta GT "MISEREE" 3.1 5M
'95 Beretta Base DGGM 2.2 5M
'96 Beretta "FAUXZ26" 2.2 5M