Pre 91 Parking Brake Handle Assembly

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
jackattack193

Pre 91 Parking Brake Handle Assembly

Post by jackattack193 »

Decided to tinker with this after breaking 2 decades ago. The actual brake engages fine. The issue I have is that the brake handle won’t catch on the teeth and stay in an upright position. I’ve called the dealership for help with parts or diagrams, no luck. I’ve even called multiple junk yards in the hope someone had a pre 91 that I could look at, no luck. Ebay, craigslist for parts, no luck as of yet. I figured the best other option was to reach out and see if anyone here with a pre 91 would be willing to take their handle apart and take some pics so that I can possibly repair mine.

These are the parts that I have. I don’t know if this is complete or not but after diving into it here is my guess:
Parking Brake Handle Assembly.jpg
The push button was originally attached to the spring.(?)
Now I’m not sure if it then just slid onto the “plastic bent piece” or if the other end of the spring was somehow attached to that plastic bent piece too.
Parking Brake Arm.jpg
Either way, the push button/spring/plastic bent piece then slides into the grove on the underside of the parking brake arm.
Then you place the handle over it and attach the handle to the brake arm with the small screw.

If anyone could help with pics, or better yet a spare assembly I would really appreciate it. I figured after I knew exactly what I needed I would try my chances and post in the “wanted” section.

Also, for you guys with much more knowledge, was there another GM vehicle that used this same parking brake handle assembly? I figured that might help increase my results when searching for these parts online. Wouldn’t it be nice if the 91+ had the same assembly with just a different molded handle? Seems there are at least a few more of these around than the pre 91…

jackattack193

Re: Pre 91 Parking Brake Handle Assembly

Post by jackattack193 »

Still diving into this. Looks like that plastic piece is also supposed to be attached to the push button along with the spring. I think that the piece that broke on my assembly was part of the push button itself which held the spring and the plastic piece to the push button. At this point I don't think the spring was supposed to be attached to the plastic piece at the other end - it rested in the recessed area of the actual parking brake handle.

I'm thinking of using an epoxy to attach the spring and the plastic piece to the push button. Problem is, I don't have a spare in the event this is not how it's supposed to go. So, if anyone is willing to comment or take pics of theirs I'd appreciate it.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I can take apart my Indy setup when I get home to see what it looks like... I can't guarantee that I can do it tonight but I'll try.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

Here is a photo of extra plastic parts for my 96. I think they are very similar to yours except mine has a rounded side on the button.
There are half round pieces, as viewed from the end of the button,
those are missing from your button that clasp onto the tabs of the long arm part.
The arm goes down into the metal handle. You can see in the pic, that my button has these half round ears and yours does not.
You might be able to drill a hole through your button and through your plastic arm to hold the button in place with a screw or small roll pin etc.
I show how deep the plastic arm goes into the handle in the third photo.
HPIM1424.JPG
HPIM1427.JPG
Attachments
HPIM1425.JPG

jackattack193

Post by jackattack193 »

These pictures are golden - I see now exactly how it went together!
When I examine my button closely, I see where those "ears" were attached, so that was my breaking point.
I'm wondering if I do fill the hole within the button with some kind of epoxy and attach the arm, it will act as those ears and it might give me a working handle again.
This is exactly what I needed to help me figure this thing out, thank you so much for your time.

Jon, if the pre 91 is any different, please let me know. My hunch is they're nearly identical.
Many Thanks guys!