Won't stay running..

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
AeraBell

Re: Won't stay running..

Post by AeraBell »

Spark continues after stalling

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

AeraBell wrote:Spark continues after stalling
Does it restart immediately after a stall or does it require some waiting time?
If spark keeps working its possible an injector is borderline tripping it, or could still be an intermintant ICM.
I would ohm the injectors right after a stall and check fuel pressure during and after.

AeraBell

Post by AeraBell »

It restarts. It just dies like its running out of fuel 5-10 seconds after turning over..
so far I've changed battery, plugs, wires, tps, cps, map sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel relay..

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

AeraBell wrote:It restarts. It just dies like its running out of fuel 5-10 seconds after turning over..
so far I've changed battery, plugs, wires, tps, cps, map sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel relay..
I suggest using a volt meter and finding the resistance in ohms of your injectors after it dies. If you post the values here we can help to see if any are bad.

Phillipgillihan87

Post by Phillipgillihan87 »

Did you find out what the problem is? I just purchased a one owner 89 gt with 88,800 mile on it, it's got the 2.8. I've had it 3 weeks now and at the end of the 2nd week in it started doing same thing. It will start,sputter a little and die. If I keep starting it, it will will finally pick back up all its power, then I will get 3 house's down the road and it will fall on it's ass again. I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, ICM, all coil packs, and crank censer. Tested TPS, IAC, fuel, spark, and both Temp sending units. PLEASE HELP. I'm ready to throw a match to it and watch it burn

ifixalot

Post by ifixalot »

My 88 2.8 has a maf sensor. Does your 89? My 96 MAF sensor caused me some trouble.
I'm wondering if you have one, is that the culprit.
Have you pulled out some spark plugs to see what is going on inside
the cylinders?
Such as black spark plugs or dry white spark plugs.
Do you have a timing light to see if spark is consistent?

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

88s were unique with the MAF -which was later updated by GM as a recall, which turned the old MAF into a huge, restrictive Intake Air Temp Sensor with a MAP replacing it, usually mounted to the firewall and an ECU update performed with a sticker or placard placed somewhere under the hood...
Phillipgillihan87 -don't give up on it, that is a great car! Some ideas for you... Any Check Engine Light?
-Have you checked the MAP sensor? Look at the vacuum-line going to it also.
-Have you considered the catalytic converter? If it is coming apart, the internals can roll around and plug it up, and it can act like that, although it would be a little less likely to get full power out of the car, but I have seen it. Try banging on the Cat, and listen for it rattling. You can also try running it with the O2 sensor pulled as that will give the exhaust a place to escape, enough to let it keep idling at least.
-Your best starting-point though is to put a fuel-pressure gauge on it with a long enough hose that you can actually watch the fuel pressure while driving, and those little in-line spark testers work great to see if a coil is intermittently failing. I see you already tested/replaced those items, but even a new part can be bad, or just not able to do its' job because of a wiring or some other problem. For instance, new ICM and CKP won't help if the small wire-harness connecting the two is bad -make sure that harness is in good condition, not hitting the exhaust or anything.
-By this point, the one-in-a-million ECU failure is becoming a one-in-a-hundred -that can cause any and all symptoms possible.

Diagnosing the problem is almost invariably cheaper and less frustrating than throwing parts into it and hoping you eventually hit the bulls-eye, but some of these parts aren't a bad idea to replace by this car's age anyway.
Good luck!

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Phillipgillihan87

Well ok yesterday I pulled the upper intake off to replace the fuel injectors and found a rat nest under it. The #1 injector wire had about 2.5 to 3 in. chewed up. I fixed the wires, put it back together and tryed it. It still did the same thing, so I pulled it back apart because I didn't put the injectors in thinking that the wires was the problem. I put the injectors in and put back together. I tried it again and it started so I made a few passes up and down the road and it did good. So this morning I drove it to work, witch is a 20 min drive, and she did good. Well, when I left work early I got about a mile down the road and it did it again, just died. Stop, turn the key starts right up. Half mile does it again. Do this a few more time and then it just want start at all. Had to get it pulled to my Dad's. I looked over the wiring some more and can't find any more places that are chewed up. So could the spot that was chewed up on the injector wire have fried the ecm?

Phillipgillihan87

I got it fixed today. It had 3 injectors that tested out bad. Got them replaced with 3 more and so far it is running perfect. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Great work! :good: Were all three bad injectors on the same bank?

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
troy.mansell

Post by troy.mansell »

Okay folks how you doing today I'm T-Rex mobile I have a 95 Chevy Beretta with 2.2 L engine in it 5 speed manual transmission replace the starter put a new fuel filter everything on it you know check the fuel light. Fuel rail I don't see where I can test the pressure but anyway it's getting fire it's getting fuel it'll start running died I'm a mobile mechanic and I'm trying to take in there you know get my business up and running really so I need some advice on this please thank you

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Hi Troy, first, welcome to the site -it is a little slow here these days, but the community is still strong, and there are lots of resources here for you. Second, you probably want to start a new Thread for your car, so information doesn't get mixed up with this other one, as they are very different drivetrains.

But, to try and help point you in the right direction, so far as a fuel test port on your 2.2, I can't say for certain on your '95, but that era a lot of GM 4-bangers did not have test ports, like the 2.2s in the S-10 pickups, the next-generation J-Body cars (Cavaliers and Sunbirds) with the 2.2s and 2.4 Twin-Cams and the like, so very possibly you don't have one. In that case, the procedure is basically to dead-head pressure test, in other words, disconnect the fuel hose going into the fuel rail, use an appropriate adapter, and check static pressure. Stupid setup, and it only gives you a partial picture... I modified my own J-Body (2.4L Turbo) with a test-port by cutting the metal fuel line and installing a Tee with compression-fittings -works great and I could check the pressure with any standard Schrader-type gauge (tire gauge) or fuel pressure tester with a Ford adapter. Later, I installed a gauge permanently on the car, but it was modified to run around 60-70 psig IIRC for the turbo, and I had reasons to want to check it regularly. Your '95 should be a Multi-Port F/I system, so it would run higher pressure, like the V-6 cars. Nominal idle pressure should be around 35-38 psi. Check your FPR, make sure it isn't leaking by pulling the vacuum line while cranking. If all is good there, but you still have low fuel pressure, your problem is most likely the pump.

Finally, I must ask, you said "check the fuel light", I don't know what you meant by that, but the tank isn't empty is it?? :P

1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26