brakes and abs light

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Judith

brakes and abs light

Post by Judith »

I just got my Beretta back, it finally passed inspection after problems with a spring perch and the exhaust system (spare parts are hard to come by in the Low countries). Many thanks btw for all the suggestions I got here and on FB! Today this happened: As I drove away and braked (lightly) the brakes didn't seem to work, It seemed as if there was 'space' I don't know how else to describe it, the car did slow down but it didn't react properly. Then at the first crossroads I braked again lightly but it seemed to block (I thought the engine stalled, but it hadn't) the ABS light came on and stayed on for the rest of the time. I drove on for a short time and the brakes worked like they used to. After parking the car I started the engine again after 5 minutes and the ABS light came on (like it should) and went off (like it should). Still I am kind of rattled, any ideas what this might have been? Its'a 93 GT

Bapsu

Re: brakes and abs light

Post by Bapsu »

Ur brake line might be blown. Dont drive a meter or u might kill yourself. On your yard, go and push the brakes hard when ur friend is taking look in to the rear of the car.

If it isnt brake line you at least have air in your brakes and they might need bleeding.

They propably tested brakes in inspection and broke ur brake line and didnt notice that. :D

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

How is the fluid level in the brake reservoir? If it's low then it's a very good chance you have a broken brake line somewhere.

Did the brake pedal feel like it went closer to the floor after inspection?
Did you feel any kind of vibration in the brake pedal when or before the abs light came on?

Judith

Post by Judith »

I didn't feel any vibration in the brake pedal. I did hear a low kind of rumbling noise (like something's shifting)
I called the Dutch version of the AAA 8) so this guy came by, checked the fluid level which was fine and then he went for a testdrive, he floored it : "wow this is a fast car" :D and braked several times and nothing happened (of course) I will take it to the garage next week but all seems fine now. I have the feeling it's the pedal more than the actual brake. the AAA guy also noticed that sometimes the pedal seems lower and then higher?!

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

If you heard a rumbling noise and the abs light came on. That means your abs activated.
Was it wet or slipery outside?

Judith

Post by Judith »

I guess that's what might have happened but although it's mostly always wet in the Netherlands, it wasn't particularly slippery when it seemed to block. Also, the next day the ABS light stayed on after braking once so it might be smth in the ABS system?

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

It could be possible.
If you can find someone who can scan your abs code(s) for a 93 Beretta it would tell better what happened.
It could also reveal if a sensor needs replaced.

Bapsu

Post by Bapsu »

Instead of scanning I took ohm-meter and check resistance of sensors. Dunno if aldl/obd1 can show abc codes?

Someone has wiring pinout? I have the pinout but cant post it atm.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I know a dealership can do it with a tech1 scanner.
But I dont know if any in your area have that.

Someone else may want to verify but this may be useful information:
http://truckmodcentral.com/forums/f23/p ... tion-6609/

Bapsu

Post by Bapsu »

https://imgur.com/ezEB37D

Theres above the pic of the connector we are talking about.

Pinout: Pin 1 not used pin 2 serial data line pin 3 not used pin 4 r/f abs solenoid pin 5 l/f wheel signal high pin 6 l/f wheel singnal low pin 7 r/r wheel signal high pin 8 r/r wheel signal low pin 9 r/f wheel signal high pin 10 r/f wheel signal low pin 11 l/r wheel signal low pin 12 l/r wheel signal high pin 13 brake switch input pin 14 switch ignition pin 15 b + feed pin 16 ja 17 not used pin 18 vent tube pin 19 l/f emb pin 20 r/f emb pin 21 brake telltale pin 22 enable relay control pin 23 abs warning light control pin 24 l/f abs solenoid.

Take ohm meter and read all abs sensors ohm-resistances. If one is showing too much or nothing compared to others, check the wiring and after that change sensor. You can easily test the wiring by taking off the connector near tire, put paper clip there, if you got resistance, wiring is ok. IF theres no resistance, check wiring and connections.

You can see those pins numbers when you take off that connector. Since your abs light seem to come on only sometimes, I would say its moisture problem in the rear abs sensors wiring harness.

Check this: https://imgur.com/jMMMc8s

Harness above can be found from passengers side, under the carpet. Since all Berettas carpets tend to store couple of liters water, also the connector gets corroded. The connector itself isnt on the picture, but its near the passengers kick panel (the panel the passegers speaker is at).

Judith

Post by Judith »

It has been very wet here so it might be a moisture problem. I found a parking garage where I can park my car at reasonable costs (several other owners of older cars had the same idea; I saw an old Peugeot (60s) a vintage BMW coupe, several older Mercedeses, a number of cars covered up and even a Cadillac 8) )so at least it will be dry in the coming months (lots of snow today in the low countries) I've had no problem with the brakes over the last couple of days but today when I braked, there was a lot of 'space' before the brakes responded so I am taking it back for service just to be sure.
Thanks for your replies

Judith

Post by Judith »

Update: it turned out to be a faulty ABS pump.