Clunking around passenger side when making right turn

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Cam2363

Clunking around passenger side when making right turn

Post by Cam2363 »

When I have a right turn in my 96 Z26, there is a clunking sound down around the passenger footwell, the car also pulls to the right a little, which I assume is related.

Any clue what it is and what I should check?

There is also a high pitched squeaking sound when making either a right or left turn, not super worried about that as it is not super loud, but just wondering what that could be too.

Thanks!

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: Clunking around passenger side when making right turn

Post by heavywoody »

Sounds like the control arm bushings have failed. Check those as they were known to pop out of the control arm.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

heavywoody wrote:Sounds like the control arm bushings have failed. Check those as they were known to pop out of the control arm.
Thanks! Any clue where a good place would be to buy an entire set for the front? If im doing one side, why not do both.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I would start at Rock Auto. Way cheaper than local sources, overall reliable, and typically same or better quality parts -you usually have more brands to choose from too.

Also check your sway-bar end-links. If one of them are broken, they can make a clunking sound going around turns. Plan on doing an alignment after replacing bushings, just to be sure, especially if the pull hasn't gone away. Tires are expensive!

For the squeal, front brake-pad wear indicators can do that is they shift around during turns if they are already hitting the rotor(s) (everything flexes -even suspension and braking components, and consider how old your wheel-bearings are -any slop under the extreme loads during handling will cause the rotor to move relative to the pads and calipers). Or less likely it could be belt-noise if the P/S pump is dragging it down during turns, especially if the belt is glazed, stretched, or if the tensioner is weak or sticking.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Agreed. Those 96 style control arm bushings are known for problems. Sway bar end links could also be it, they could be bad or the arm could be bad where they mount.

High pitched squeak could be the wheel bearing.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Bapsu

Post by Bapsu »

You guys ever had issues with the steering wheel having slight shaking on hwy speeds? Mine seem to be shaking a little (Corsica), tires should be balanced etc. so I am focusing on the car itself for now... just dont know where to start.

I got 2 Corsicas, both have same kind of behaviour.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Bapsu wrote:You guys ever had issues with the steering wheel having slight shaking on hwy speeds? Mine seem to be shaking a little (Corsica), tires should be balanced etc. so I am focusing on the car itself for now... just dont know where to start.

I had this shaking on a venture van, tie rod ends were worn badly.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

WhiteGTZ wrote:
Bapsu wrote:You guys ever had issues with the steering wheel having slight shaking on hwy speeds? Mine seem to be shaking a little (Corsica), tires should be balanced etc. so I am focusing on the car itself for now... just dont know where to start.

I had this shaking on a venture van, tie rod ends were worn badly.
^^Good thought. My old Z-26 started shaking at about 35 MPH a few weeks after I sold it to my niece, way back after I first got it (it was one of my 'boomerang' cars -one that keeps coming back). The shaking was absolutely terrible, but the car was fine until that speed... One of the tie-rods completely lost its' rubber bushing (totally gone -disintegrated) where it bolts to the steering rack.

It could also be slightly warped rotors, but usually the slight vibration would get worse as you lightly apply the brakes.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26