Erratic Tac?lol

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Guest »

Hi,I don't know if this is an important issue or not, but I thought I'd ask to make sure there's not an underlying problem going on with my Beretta. I've noticed lately that my tac is acting goofy. For example, when I'm doing 60 it's going up to 5200 rmps. I know that's not right . If I remember correctly, I think it was usually around 2500 or 300 rpm's at 60-65.
Where does the tac get it's signals from? The computer? Tac's are something I know little about. ÂÂÂ

Jeff P

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Jeff P »

Hi Maria,
You're right, that's way off.  Your ignition module may be bad.  It is located on the front of the engine behind the 3 coils with the spark plug wires connected to them.  Most parts stores can test it for you if you remove it and take it in.  It is also possible that your torque converter is not kicking in, although, since you have some experience with cars you probably would've noticed some extra engine noise if this were the case.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Guest »

Hi Jeff, Nope haven't noticed any  extra engine noise. Funny thing is, I just had a coil pack put on it. It's used, but I took it to Advanced and they tested the coils and module. The guy that tested it, said he ran the test 3 times, to get the module warmed up really good and it all tested ok as well as all 3 coils.  The tac was doing this even before the coil pack got changed this time. Grrrrrrrr        
Thanks for your help Jeff

Jeff P

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Jeff P »

Now that you mention it, I remember you stating that in another post.  Hmm, maybe it's the tachometer itself...I hesitate to speculate on that  

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Guest »

That thought crossed my mind too. I know the factory gauges can go back just like anything else. In fact my oil gauge went out of it a few years ago and it got replaced with an after market one that has done really good so far. I'll do some checking around in the next few days and see if it might just be the tachometer itself.

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Guest »

Are there any other symptoms besides the erratic tac?  If you're having some driveability problems, or trouble starting it sometimes, it could be good indication that the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) is going bad.  Just an idea...

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Guest »

It does still have a miss to it and idles lopey sometimes.It's not really hard to start,but doesn't start as quick as it use to. How much does the CPS usually run to buy a new one?
Thanks

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Guest »

I replaced my CPS last year, and it was under twenty bucks.  Very easy to replace, too -on the back of the engine block.  

Erratic Tac?lol

Post by Guest »

Allrighty. Thanks for helping