Possible tranny problem?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

Hey all,

I have a 94 auto Beretta with the 3.1 V6.  Lately I've had a problem with my tranny shifting but it seems most obvious only around left hand turns.  This is a problem from a stop, rolling, and even at higher speeds.

The feeling is not that of a bad slipping tranny.  My 95 Monte Carlo had the 3.1 and it's tranny would slip on take off in straight lines....it would BANG into gear.  

The Beretta on the other hand only does it on left turns, and usually all that happens is I lose momentum and the engine revs...but it doesn't bang after it catches again.  The feeling is that of a manual when you ease back into the clutch, the power slowly returns with no jerks.

It does jerk however on downhill left turns, it almost feels like it is locking the front left brake up.

It is leaking a small bit of oil from what I theorize is the oil lines going into the radiator.  The oil has always been topped off though.  In the morning when it is cold, first gear holds until a higher RPM but does not clunk into 2nd it simply "clutches" into 2nd like a manual would.

I hope someone can offer some advice.  Winter is coming and the G35 will not be usable  

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

I also found by searching that someone reccomended the GM product "Automatic Transmission Seal Conditioner" for some cold running tranny problems.  I am going to try this as well, but any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure if I'm any help here or not, but I put a bottle of Lucas Stop Slip in the 86 Monte I have (350 turbo tranny) and then a bottle of Greased Lightning. Both can be found at Advanced Auto Parts stores. I actually bought the greased Lighting because the tranny still had a shudder to it after I put in the Stop Slip, but after it went through it good, the shudder went away. It's still not like it was before, but better than what it was doing,especially after the tranny gets warmed up.Also gives me time to put money up to get it fixed.I hope anyway  Mine was jerking after it shifted into second and didn't hardley want to pull. I didn't think it was gonna make it to the house, but after it cooled off a couple hours it done allright for the most part, but I still put the additives in it because if I didn't get a run on a steep hill it bogged down.
Wish I could give you better advice, but I'm still puzzled with mine too,even tho that one's not a Beretta

Oh, I do want to ask you, something. Does the tranny shudder when you take off in it? My Beretta did that for a while and I was told it was falling apart inside and sure enough a few weeks later it shifted into first, but not second. I had to get another tranny for mine (or if someone wants to be technical( lol) transaxle).

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

Yea I would put in some treatment just for slipping.  If you go to any auto store and ask where the tranny fluids are its right around there.  It would be good to put in treatment ever so ofter so you can prevent this.

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

Thanks to both of you.  I went to the auto store and picked up a bottle of seal conditioner and it is doing a little better already.  It has only been driven a few miles and ran for 20 minutes or so but it is starting to feel better.  I am going to take it on a longer drive today and see if I can't get the stuff cycled throughout the tranny.

Q
U
O
T
EOh, I do want to ask you, something. Does the tranny shudder when you take off in it? My Beretta did that for a while and I was told it was falling apart inside and sure enough a few weeks later it shifted into first, but not second. I had to get another tranny for mine (or if someone wants to be technical( lol) transaxle).

No, not yet anyway.  I had a Monte Carlo (95, but same tranny as the Beretta) that did the same thing as you are talking about.  I traded it in before it grenaded though.

I'm going to try and get some of the greased lighting as well...I'm desperate for it to hold out over the winter.  I figure I can do a tranny swap next Spring.

I wanted to post here to be sure that this couldn't be something else.....axle/differential/etc.

Thanks!

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

I thought about maybe an axle problem too....of course most generally if you have a bad axle they will make a popping sound when you turn the wheel. You can't miss it,it's very distinct. You might want to check your axles out.....just to rule it out. Sometimes if you have a bad axle you'll have a vibration at highway speed too. Check out Autozone and Advanced Auto parts web sites. They have diagnosing problems/possible causes on both sites. Might help,check it out and see.

Yep, get some of the Greased Lighting. Couldn't hurt. If it helped the tranny in my Monte it should do good with your Beretta. I know I have considered selling the Monte I have. I'm just driving it around town and a little ways from home and it does do ok, so maybe if it can hold on till next spring I'll sell it.

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

I do have vibration at speeds above 55 or so.  I chalked it up to being an older car with a weak suspension but maybe that has something to do with it.

cramez

Possible tranny problem?

Post by cramez »

The lines that go into the radiator aren't for oil, they're for trans fluid.  Chack your trans fluid level (trans hot, engine running, level surface).  When's the last time the trans fluid and filter was changed?

Check both axles too, try and shake them around a bit (don't yank too hard, you'll pull it out of the trans), just kinda move them up and down once or twice.  There should be little or no play.  Generally if the axle was dying it would clunk around turns.

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Daily Driver
1984 Z28 - 355/5-speed
1978 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade
1955 house - sucks up all the car money

Ebay Beretta Parts (changes weekly): http://motors.shop.ebay.com/cramez/m.html?...from=&_ipg=

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

Q
U
O
T
EThe lines that go into the radiator aren't for oil, they're for trans fluid.

Sorry, I said oil but meant tranny fluid.  That is where I know I am leaking some of my fluid but not enough to really drain it.

Anyway after the seal conditioner went in it started to feel better already.  I just happened to be talking to my father in law about it and he is a service manager at a Caddy dealer.  He said that this will happen almost always in a low fluid situation.  I told him that the seal conditioner should have put it at full since it was a little low when I checked it.  He said even if it shows full add another 1/4 to 1/2 quart.  Although I didn't want to overfill it I went with it.  Believe it or not...the thing shifts great!  The problem is non-existant!

I am going to change the fluid and filter since it has been about 30K miles (at least) since the last change.

I'll also check the axles but it sounds like my problem is kinda silly but solved.  Thanks all!

Possible tranny problem?

Post by Guest »

Glad your tranny is doing better!

cramez

Possible tranny problem?

Post by cramez »

1/4 to 1/2 quart over is nothing to worry about, the capacity of the transmission/transaxle/torque converter is over 10 quarts.  I usually go a hiar over full myself too.  

If the problem comes back again after the filter & fluid change, double/triple check the fluid level and go a hair over.  If that alone doesn't work(which it should), try the seal conditioner again.  It won't last forever, but it will keep your trans shifting right for quite a while.

2002 Monte Carlo SS - Daily Driver
1984 Z28 - 355/5-speed
1978 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade
1955 house - sucks up all the car money

Ebay Beretta Parts (changes weekly): http://motors.shop.ebay.com/cramez/m.html?...from=&_ipg=