'91 Beretta GT Died While On Freeway

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Post by Guest »

Hello, y'all. I just purchased a '91 Beretta GT about 2 months ago. It is a 3.1L 5-speed. With about a buck-67 on the odometer.

A brief history on it since in my possession:

Since I bought it, it has idled rough. Also, it bogs down at the top of gears 1 through 3. Meaning, as I accelerate, it literally bogs down at around 3000 rpm forcing me to shift up.

As for power, it is so-so. It takes a while to increase speed. It will hit 40 mph real quick. However, above 40 mph (gears 4 and 5) it will only steadily increase speed.

Okay, about 2 weeks after purchase, it started having a real hard time starting. It would sit and turn over forever before firing.

Then, a month ago, I went out to start her, and she wouldn't start. She would just crank and crank. The volts on the dash were just above 8. When I'd turn the key, it would flatline below 8. Then, nothing. No starter click, nothing.

I took the battery in a had it charged and it tested good. I put the battery back in and it would just turn over. No fire. I sprayed a small shot of ether into the air cleaner tube and she fired right up. No turn over. Just fired right up.

Interesting sidenote. When I opened the air filter/cleaner tube, there was oil in it.

She ran good until yesterday. I was doing about 70mph down the freeway and went to accelerate. Nothing. It felt odd as the car was slowing down. It took a second to realize it had died as my stereo was still going. So I glided her to the side of the road.

I tried to start her back up. Nothing. It wouldn't even turn over. No starter click. Nothing. Just one click as the key turned. The volts were at 8. When I turned the key, it would flatline. I opened the hood to check the battery cables. First, I smelled burning oil and saw smoke coming out of the air cleaner tube.

The cables on the battery were fine. I had to go to work, so I had her towed back to my house.

Today, I took the battery in and it was bad. I replaced it and threw it in her. Same thing. No turn over, no crank, no nothing. Just one click. And the volts on the dash read at 10 with the key forward. When I turn the key to crank her, it flatlines.

I was thinking it was an alternator issue. However, to my knowledge, a bad alternator will not kill an engine while it's running. Nor will a bad battery. Not if the alternator is good.

So. That leaves me flippin' clueless. I would seriously appreciate any feedback or a push in the right direction. Thanks in advance for anyone wishing to help this clueless fool.

Post by Guest »

Problem solved. Engine seized.

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

to bad u didnt live closer i have a 3.1 in my back yard with bout 75,000 on it it needs valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket from what i see. it runs good to. i bought it as parts car cause the guy that had said the steering rack had flat spot.

93 GT cammed 3500 TORSEN, headers,intake,wilwood,poly/delrin mounts, 2.5 S.S,Exhaust,dickman kits,GTUspoiler,Euro headlights-tails-mirrors-fender flares-spoiler,Intrax/Koni,91+blk interior,rr disk swap,s.s.clutch line