Tranny Problem!

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
90GTZHO

Tranny Problem!

Post by 90GTZHO »

This 94 beretta base i just bought has the3100 & 4T60-E in it. I determined this noise i hear is trans related in some way.

When accelerating hard, or at any time (dead stop, passing, etc) i hear this growning/grinding noise from the under the hood; not only makes the noise, but vibrates as well. the instant you let off the gas, it all goes away. Only does it upon acceleration. everything is quiet during cruise. If your moving at any speed, shift it into neutral and rev the motor, you dont hear it. If you power brake it at a dead stop, it makes this noise as well and vibrates, gets worse the more you rev it while powerbraking. a guy i talked to said its gonna be either the flex plate is bent, broken or warped, or the torque converter is bad.

the trans shifts fine, no slipping, no sticking in gear, downshifts fine, no metal shavings in the fluid, but fluid is dirty (puttin a new filter and fluid in soon). Check engine light comes on when the vibrations from this thing get really heavy, or loud. if this is a torque converter cool, if not i need to know asap!

Thanks for any help!

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
rweatherford

Tranny Problem!

Post by rweatherford »

I'd double check all the motor mounts first and make sure that the exhaust is not rubbing anywhere.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Decipha

Tranny Problem!

Post by Decipha »

yeah, my motor mounts caused mine, when i hit it hard or if i turned to quick you would hear it sound like a grinding noise... but now its gone, i had to replaced all 3 mounts

(4) 90s, 91, 92, 93, 94, and a 95 Supercoupe (x9)
98 Camaro SS 6spd
2000 Lincoln LS 5spd (1 of 2,331)
95 Beretta base

www.efidynotuning.com
90GTZHO

Tranny Problem!

Post by 90GTZHO »

i checked the mounts, and they look good, and the exhaust isnt hitting anywhere that i can tell.  i hope this doesnt lead to a tranny, that would piss me off  im gonna find out this weekend if the SES code that keeps turning the light on is trans related or not.  i just hope its not serious!

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress
IsaacHayes

Tranny Problem!

Post by IsaacHayes »

if the SES is a knock code, then it probably is your motor mounts letting the exhaust hit the body and causing false knock readings.

When my passenger side upper motor mount went, (tore in half) my car would do sorta the same thing when put in reverse.

I got a mount from a 95+ car (grand am) with the aluminum T bone thing as it's designed a little beter than the 94 style (only year like that on the 3100) and it has held up to the abuse I put it through daily.

EDIT: try this, have it in park idling, and then get out and pry on the motor and try and tilt it. If the noise happens, then you know why.

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...