Tips/strategies on changing spark plugs?

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
96B-Mike

Tips/strategies on changing spark plugs?

Post by 96B-Mike »

I wondering if you guys got any helpful tips and strategies on replacing spark plugs/wires since i never done 'em myself and i do have a friend of mine that is willing to help me out.

Before i attempt on replacing the spark plugs/wires i do notice that 3.1 v6 looks like a pain in the ass (the rear three obviously)..is it easier from reaching from the top or get under and squeeze your way in?

thanks in advance

berettaboi

Re: Tips/strategies on changing spark plugs?

Post by berettaboi »

they really are not too bad. it makes it easier if you remove the ICM-coil packs, just 2bolts + 2 nuts i think... just did spark plugs a month or so ago. mine were in there for 100 kkm i suspect, they put up a bit of a fight coming out on the rear side. you need a couple extensions and the spark plug socket. and just dont go crazy on the rear side, there's lots of wires/connections, and vacuum lines you dont want to really yank on... most are pretty good, but just double check they are all connected good before you put the ICM back on. and a bit of anti-seize on the threads of the spark plugs. also very important, start the spark plugs threading by hand-with the extensions

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
weba

Post by weba »

If you have 3.1 MPFI, two of the rear ones will be incredibly hard to change, even more if you have manual trans and the engine sits more back.

When I bought my car, those two were Really old while the other ones were new, I guess no-one cared to see the trouble to change them.

I recommend a tool set with plenty of 1/4" extensions, I usually release the wire harness to move it away for more room.

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Take you time most of all. It took me two hours the first time. A mirror helps too, that middle plug is at a strange angle. Get a universal(swivel) also. Someone else asked about this long ago and I listed how the extensions and the universal should be placed for each plug. As said in another post I can't use the search to find it.

keep'em flying!
felixGTU

Post by felixGTU »

The first time I changed the plugs it took me more than 2 hours. Now they are so simple I can do it in less than 30 minutes. I reccommend for the rear ones to reach all plugs from the passanger side. It is very difficult to get the back plugs from the driver side. I to removed some of the wires that are on the back. For example I unplug o2 sensor cable. Everybody here has good points that will help.

Chevrolet Beretta GTU/GT
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

berettaboi wrote:they really are not too bad. it makes it easier if you remove the ICM-coil packs, just 2bolts + 2 nuts i think...
Best advice on a 3100 engine setup. Removal of that and a strut bar if you have one installed makes getting to the rear plugs much easier.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Oh yeah I frogot that Mike has a 3100. To me it was easy vs 3.1/2.8, that could be just because I did it many times on the 3.1L. Oh and Mike don't forget to take out the rubber plug holder in the socket when putting the plug in(if your socket has one). I can't overstate this...anti-seize on the treads!

keep'em flying!
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

thanks alot guys...ill let you know how it goes

pghturbo88

Post by pghturbo88 »

Blow compressed air around each plug to get rid of dirt and debris before removal.
Use anti-seize on new plug threads.
A 12" piece of rubber fuel line works wonders as an insertion/starter tool (learned that trick many years ago watching the old TNN "Shadetree Mechanic" show).

1988 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible 2.2L Turbo (Original Owner)
1989 Beretta GT 2.8L (Original Owner)
1996 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L
2009 Honda Accord EX Sedan 2.4L (Original Owner)
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

that was a great show... i saw the two guys are (or were a couple years ago) doing a similar show

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

the new sparkplugs and wires are in!..and yeah i took about 2 hours...what a pain!

Money pit Beretta

Thanks for the update. How's it running?

keep'em flying!
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

it runs alot stronger, the start up is real strong..there is a noise that is bothering the F out of me..it seems to only make the noise when the car is cold and you start it up..it sounds like a hard metal piece banging on the bottom of my floor board (near the pedals) when i prop the hood, its coming from the right side (near the tranny)

Money pit Beretta

Ok now does it get faster if you rev the engine?
Man I sure hope all the plugs are in right. You did back them until plug dropped and then started to tighten right? Forgot to put that one in the tips, but I thought you knew that.

keep'em flying!
96B-Mike

Post by 96B-Mike »

oh, no.. it happened before i changed the plugs and its still doing it obviously..the noise goes away when the car warms up but it can take a while at times and it does it when im at stop lights as well