Torque Converter and Lock Up

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
beretta

Torque Converter and Lock Up

Post by beretta »

So i have noticed something wrong with my 96 just in the past few weeks ive noticed anyways.
I thought my rpm was higher then normal and didnt seem like the lock up was working, i borrowed a scanner and checked it all out, it shows its locking so the solenoid is working, the rpm does drop a small amount but still slips it doesnt go into full lock up.

Could my torque converter be on its way out ? how long could i expect it to keep going the way it is.

I didnt really notice how bad it is until i drove Rons car yesterday and watched the rpm and speed comparing it to my car, his works perfect when its locked up and you push the gas the rpm doesnt move so its fully locked up.

Mine goes into lock up, the scanner shows its locked up, my rpm only drops about 100 when it does, but i touch the gas and it revs up about 200 rpm so its still slipping. im worried my torque converter is on its way out.

berettaboy

Re: Torque Converter and Lock Up

Post by berettaboy »

I have these problems too... :(

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

96 BRM base converted to Z26 - 2012 bfest winner, best stock engine bay
94 BAM Z26 - bought with 1 owner from VA
beretta

Post by beretta »

i think its been going on for a while now, but i didnt notice until a few weeks ago that my rpm was higher then normal on the highway, it hasnt gotten any worse, i thought it wasnt locking up but on the scanner is shows it is and i can see the rpm come down just a small amount soon as its in lock up, but its not fully locked because the rpm still moves with slight touch of the pedal. Im pretty certain its the torque converter getting pooched, not looking forward to replacing it right away car will be parked in 4 months for winter anyway.

It could be something with the solenoid i dont know, not fully engaging or something thats why im asking.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There are two things that can happen... Low trans pressure due to worn valve body or other TCC components that are preventing it from going into full lockup, or yes a failing TC.... But the first is more common of an issue since the valves are steel and the valve body is aluminum... they hang up easily and cause issues.

If you can find a distributor and would like to replace the VB with a reman one, Central Valve Bodies has them CVB# GM-4631 http://centralvalvebodies.com/

Or you could spend $30 on an oversized TCC valve and also get the reamer kit which is like $200 and try to fix the VB youself, but I strongly suggest also rebuild the trans when your in there.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
beretta

Post by beretta »

well now im worried. im just going to keep driving it for now, i have to its the only vehicle i have on the road right now.

When i had the scanner hooked up it shows amount of slip, i forget what the numbers were but it changed up and down while in lock up with little throttle increase.

If its something in the valve body would a flush and filter/new fluid help ? I can honestly say i have no idea if its ever been changed but i have checked it before and it still looked new. it has 322,000 Km so something is due to start screwing up on me.

I cant remember if the scanner shows line pressure or not, can anyone confirm that its scan-able ? if i can check the line pressure while driving that should tell me more about whats going on.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Line pressure is not monitored the pressure control on this trans is still vac modulated its not like the 4t65e. Also I highly doubt a flush and fluid will help at all, your having a mechanical failure, no liquid will solve that issue. The valve body is worn causing the valve to side-load and get stuck when it motion and not fully engage, OR its so worn your getting blow by on the valve pressure side resulting in the TCC clutch not engaging strong enough. These are all common normal issues for a high mileage 4t60e and exactly why they make/sell these reamer kits and oversize teflon ring'd valves to fix the problem.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
beretta

Post by beretta »

Well keeping my fingers crossed it holds up until snow flys, its been acting up like this for some time now i cant even be sure how long it was just recent i noticed could have been this way for months.

Doesnt seem to effect my fuel millage a whole lot i still get at least 550 KM per tank if not more, it shifts fine and everything else, its just has slip when it should be in lock up.

Thanks for the reply, ill look into the valve body over the winter when its parked and i have time to tare it apart and wont be in a rush to have it running for the next day lol.