hybrid 282?

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?

hybrid 282?

Post by Guest »

has anyone here ever had a Getrag 282 rebuilt using different gears from say...a W-body?  can it be done?

right now i have a Getrag 282 from a GP in my Cutlass.  i really want to get rid of the 3.77 1st and 2.19 2nd gear in favor of the L-body V6 282s 3.50 1st and 2.05 2nd gear.  the car is really tough to launch because it spins so easy, and it spins in 2nd gear at full boost.  i don't really get much traction until 3rd gear.  i'd also like to use the .72 5th gear as right now i have .81 5th gear (about 2700 RPM in 5th at 75mph).

at first i thought i could simply install a complete L-body 282 but that won't work because of the different slave cylinder and mounts on the case.  soo...it looks like getting L-body 282 gears installed into a W-body 282 case is the only way it could work.  if anyone knows if it can be done let me know, i really need traction!

TIA

rweatherford

hybrid 282?

Post by rweatherford »

The gearing you want won't make much difference in traction....  Drag slicks or radials will.

You can swap gears and I'm not sure why you can't swap the trans.  The L/N/J body trans had both an internal or external slave depending on the year of the tranny.  I think you can swap bellhousings too so that one made for a Quad will fit the V-6.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

hybrid 282?

Post by Guest »

(rweatherford @ Apr. 12 2006,06:24)Q
U
O
T
EThe gearing you want won't make much difference in traction....  Drag slicks or radials will.

You can swap gears and I'm not sure why you can't swap the trans.  The L/N/J body trans had both an internal or external slave depending on the year of the tranny.  I think you can swap bellhousings too so that one made for a Quad will fit the V-6.

i was in Denver at two different salvage yards and must have found 10 different V6/5-speed L-bodies...but they were all '88-'90 (even found an Indy and a GTU but they were auto).  every one of them had the external slave cylinder and it looked like it would interfere with the turbocharger & lower intercooler pipe on a TGP setup like i have.  the real problem however was that a W-body 282 mount could not be bolted up to the L-body 282 case.  there wasn't even a mounting boss there that could be drilled and tapped.  another guy on the W-body forum said that the W-body axles wouldn't fit the L-body 282....so it's looking like L-body V6/282 gears installed into a W-body V6/282 case is the only way to go.

the taller 3.50 1st and 2.05 2nd gears was one of three things i had been wanting to do to improve traction, along with wider 245s and homemade two stage boost control using a solenoid and two grainger valve MBCs.  i'm sure it will still spin in 1st gear with 3.50 1st gear but at least it should be more "manageable" and easier to launch.  i think the 2.05 2nd gear would really help ecspecially if using 245s (i'm using 225s right now).

i'm hoping to use ~7psi only to launch the car and through 1st gear, then switch to 12psi after i get into 2nd.  i really don't want to turn the boost down or have to use DRs just to hook up in 2nd gear.  the car will likely only see the track 2-3 times a year.

what i'd really like to have built is:

1st - 3.50
2nd - 2.05
3rd - 1.38
4th - 1.03
5th - .72
FDR - 3.61

basically L-body V6/282 gears in a W-body V6/282 case but i'd like to retain the W-body V6/282 4th gear if i have a choice.  i already have a perfectly good 282 from an '88 GP sitting in my garage and i could get an '88 282 from a Beretta GT for about $60.  a local transmission shop didn't see a problem swapping gears around but wasn't 100% sure about it.  they quoted me $300-$350 for a rebuild (labor only)

3400beretta

hybrid 282?

Post by 3400beretta »

I thought w-body's have the 284 tranny?  
I believe it was 93 that changed to internal slave on the 282.

hybrid 282?

Post by Guest »

(3400beretta @ Apr. 14 2006,14:27)Q
U
O
T
EI thought w-body's have the 284 tranny?  
I believe it was 93 that changed to internal slave on the 282.
'91-'93 W-bodies got the 284 with the 3.4 DOHC.

'88-'90 W-bodies got the 282 with 2.8/3.1 or HO Quad-4 in '90.

i can't seem to find any newer 5-speed L-bodies in the junkyards around here  found a ton of older ones though.

3400beretta

hybrid 282?

Post by 3400beretta »

Ok, you said there is some kind of different mount on the w-body tranny. Check to see if this mount goes to the bellhousing. If it does, then you can just take your w-body bellhousing, and put it a J/L body transmission with your desired gears, and voila.

hybrid 282?

Post by Guest »

(3400beretta @ Apr. 14 2006,17:22)Q
U
O
T
EOk, you said there is some kind of different mount on the w-body tranny. Check to see if this mount goes to the bellhousing. If it does, then you can just take your w-body bellhousing, and put it a J/L body transmission with your desired gears, and voila.
i just doublechecked with the GP 282 i have in my garage...the mount goes onto the case itself  swapping the bellhousing would definately take care of the slave cylinder issue though.  too bad GM didn't make the 282 more universal so the cases were all exactly the same.

here is the W-body 282 trans mount:
http://www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/trans/DSC00948.JPG

and here is where it bolts to:
http://www.turbosedan.com/cutlass/trans ... cation.jpg

none of the L-body V6/282s i seen had those holes there.

3400beretta

hybrid 282?

Post by 3400beretta »

Thats very interesting. I would never have thought GM would make 2 different 282 cases. Well, Im sure you can just take the gears out of a J/L body 282, Just be sure its the right year. Here is a link to the different years/ratios.

282 Gear Ratios

Also If you notice the Quad transmissions used the 1.03 4th gear, so Im sure you could keep that from you w-body tranny.

rweatherford

hybrid 282?

Post by rweatherford »

Just as an example...  My car with less TQ than yours with 225 tires will not get traction until 3rd gear, which is about 60 MPH.

Good luck.  

I have to steer into the center of the road when drag racing on a crowned road surface.  Then when the tires finally grab, you better be able to steer fast before you rub doors with the guy next to you.  After that it is usually over for the other guy.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

hybrid 282?

Post by Guest »

(rweatherford @ Apr. 16 2006,21:35)Q
U
O
T
EJust as an example...  My car with less TQ than yours with 225 tires will not get traction until 3rd gear, which is about 60 MPH.

Good luck.  

I have to steer into the center of the road when drag racing on a crowned road surface.  Then when the tires finally grab, you better be able to steer fast before you rub doors with the guy next to you.  After that it is usually over for the other guy.
ugh.  you're probably right.  i wish there was a different FDR i could use and/or Quaife  anymore i am really not liking the Getrag.  it was great until i went past 8psi or so then it just got too crazy.  i could just turn the boost down but then 3rd & 4th wouldn't be much fun.

i might still do it if (when) my 282 needs to be rebuilt since i can get an L-body 282 for cheap.  until then i guess i should focus my efforts on staged boost control and buy some GOOD 245s.

thanks

TurboGTU

hybrid 282?

Post by TurboGTU »

You might want to use the TGP chips boost controll to limit boost till when you shift to third..there should be a nice micro switch on the shifter to kill the stock boost controller to use your grinder valve. Just an idea.

Limiting the power on those few gears would be better, faster, cheaper than gear changes.

On the GTU, I just limit my foot  

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.