3800 Series III Turbo...

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
nocutt

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by nocutt »

Darn I can actually hear the crickets on this string  

On that note : http://www.westcoastfiero.com/turbo_systems/turbo.html

just for the beginners...I hopefully will have an update by thursday still waiting for my S3 shortblock

TurboGTU

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by TurboGTU »

60lbs heavier for the 80 over the 65 I think. 4t80-e shifter Theres a performance shifter for the 80-e..but I would think you would still need the northstar ecm to controll the Anchor(80-e). There is plenty for the 65-e. Hit up Level ten. They sell "Bullet Proof" parts and kits for it. They'd sell you a whole Preped trans too. To make things easy..I would go with the 65-e. Parts already exist to surpass the 80-e.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
Ribz80

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by Ribz80 »

All that weight up front would mean the balance would be even worse.  You sure the 80 is what you want to do?

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
nocutt

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by nocutt »

TurboGTU/Ribz...
                        I overstand!...I am in a bind myself let me paint a bigger picture first.
The plan is to take what I learnt from the S2 and pass it on to the S3...with the S2 turbo I was using a .63 A/R which will more than alwayz create traction issues down low...before I added the race tires I will literally roast the hides at about 50mph!!...I never would do burn outs long enough to mean anything I literally 'meowed' the 60-e at the bottom. Now with the new turbo .70 A/R is plenty enough to just take some of the ummph at the bottom, but I will want to move the powerband up some (Cam another story) just to take advantage of the bigger wheels (turbo).  I have been using the 60-e tranny for the past 9yrs literally...granted the car isn't a daily driver but it does not see 'green pastures' either. The tranny stock will not want to RPM...well let me phrase that better...the 60-e will likely have a "pump attack" if I decide to RPM the motor..sooner or later!
With the 80-e,  231ci will hardly be doing any real work to it...I can run as much as 14+ psi and not worry about breakage...this tranny is HUGE...I mean 280lbs of material + a potential light car = upset vipers...lol!! Yes it is plenty of weight up front that can actually be balanced ( I am lying to myself right   ) The down time however is not enough for me to have WCF fab mounts and shoehorn the tranny. As for the wiring the 65-e computer can run the caddy tranny or better yet a module a company PCS sells. Chris West ran into them last yrs SEMA show and he is actually a dealer for this product.
So I guess I will make up my mind by this week...I was advised by Chris just as Tgtu suggested to go 65-e. I think I will lean towards that area...I will just put everything back on the 60-e wait till it goes bye-bye and see what the 65-e can do. I like the 65e even though it isn't really much different than a 60-e. However to run mega power on them, you have to convert into a single chain drive...they do RPM better. toooooo many things...hmmmmn

TurboGTU

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by TurboGTU »

Yup...your right..weight is not a real issue here...or is it. The advantage like you said...not directly..is that you can drop the 80-e AS IS and not worry about high rpm grannading or high TQ brakage. As with the 65..you need to change to a ONE chain setup over the HUSH HUSH two chain..and then configure the pump for a slight increase in rpm power..Or DO you?..I know some race teams ran the 65 on the ECOTEC..and some are doing it to vtec engines...and they're not low RPM engines! Level ten sells BLUE clutch plates..so thats a big plus.
The thing with the 80 is that you do get more weight up front for traction..but how are the springs going to act? Have you made sure it fits? You can degree  the cam for hp over tq..so you can gain traction...guess thats what your also doing.

Some 60's can handle high rpm..but the only ones I know of are the F7(thanks to jeff m for confirming), TGP trans , and the DOHC 3.4 trans.

The 5spds are weak sucks..Save for the 284 if you find a good one.
And an unrelated mater..the quad 3t40.

Sound like a awsome project. Keep us posted! Dam good work.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
nocutt

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by nocutt »

Quote The thing with the 80 is that you do get more weight up front for traction..but how are the springs going to act? Have you made sure it fits? You can degree  the cam for hp over tq..so you can gain traction...guess thats what your also doing.

Tgtu...the springs will be fine...I am currently running as much as 500lb/in springs up front and ~350lb/in at the rear...I am going to be dropping the front lb/in and increasing the rears...still in the nogin' ;) the 80-e will not drop in...but it will fit if you get one I mean...lol!
The cam has been grinded by Engle...I don't want to put it in yet till I know what kind of backpsi I will be seeing with the new config...the S3 supposedely has bigger xhaust valves than the S2...if this is true then I will have to take that into consideration...plus I want to really run a single pattern cam...

Some 60's can handle high rpm..but the only ones I know of are the F7(thanks to jeff m for confirming), TGP trans , and the DOHC 3.4 trans.

Yes...you are correct...however I am also running the latest yrs of 60-e from a lesabre (now that is real  boat)...the 65-e will probably be the next move, but I have to wait till the sucka goes...then 65-e with shift-paddle...now that will be something  ahhhhh time...wish I had enough of it...

before:

after:

ghetto painted subframe:

KFLO 93 GT

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

The Zo4 front is a nice addition.  The intercooler should look nice behind it.

93 GTs
nocutt

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by nocutt »

Hehehehe...thanks KFLO...I actually had replaced the bumper after the first mishap last year...you are right the IC was tucked away like it belonged

Now for head games...

Sold engine meeting green pastures

nocutt

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by nocutt »

Chris West old engine (going to green pastures too):

And sneak peek at new engine:

nocutt

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by nocutt »

LOL!! Seems I will have to keep the soliloquy...

Cleaned and painted the aluminum intake and aluminum valve covers (for now, VC were thrown in because other options I did not want on the engine)...

also cleaned and painted the block...
will be using an S2 fuel rail (S3's don't have a return line)
Too bad oil pan was damaged from donor accident...the S3 oil pan is beautifully structured...wayyyyyz better than the S2...

Daughter took this  

Made a mess in the kitchen...L8R

Ribz80

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by Ribz80 »

I too had an Engle cam, custom for a 3.1.     I sold it without using it to a member here.  

Its nice to see all those pics and updates

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
KFLO 93 GT

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

All of that wiring looks like one of my worst nightmares.  

And where are these green pastures?  I need to go and harvest them with my Iowa skills if they have gems like that out in them.    

BTW, what engine is Chris West going to?

93 GTs
bonecrrusher

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by bonecrrusher »

Quote (KFLO 93 GT @ Apr. 13 2005,12:14)All of that wiring looks like one of my worst nightmares.  

And where are these green pastures?  I need to go and harvest them with my Iowa skills if they have gems like that out in them.    

BTW, what engine is Chris West going to?
Dang man read the post, hes using the 4.6L Northstar V8 and what looks to be an 8 individual tb setup.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
nocutt

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by nocutt »

LOL!! KFLO the 'green pastures' cannot be harvested by you...I heard you drive like a maniac
The 'green pastures' are for grannies...

Chris West is actually using a 4.0L Old Aurora V8 + individual holley TB/I + a T61...hey but you did not hear that from me The old man is really going to 'ruffle a lot of feathers'

BTW just finished the wiring

...still waiting on WCF to slide me in for a pair of turbo headers and a 'Y'.

nocutt

3800 Series III Turbo...

Post by nocutt »

The top is where thou belong